Maximum Test Scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sun&Sky88

Maximum Test Scores

Post by Sun&Sky88 »

Hello please can any experienced members explain the maximum test scores that can possibly be achieved on Kent Test?

It's far too complicated for me! I'm not quite sure what scores we are looking at that's needed. It's a bit of a catch 22 it seems? From what I can gather you should only consider a Kent grammar school if you have high enough score to get in esp if out of county. However you can't really list a school unless you look at the school on the open days first. But if you go on the open day and don't get high enough score you can't in, so quite a bit of waste of time? Hope I'm making sense!

Thank you all!
Shevek

Re: Maximum Test Scores

Post by Shevek »

The top score is usually 140 for each of the tests for a total of 420 but can vary each year

When DS did the test back in 2012 the max was 141 each for a maximum 423

We won't know that figure until after the results are released.

We also won't know what the required scores for a pass are until then either.

Last year you needed a total of 320 with each individual score 206 or above.

I totally agree that you shouldn't put a school on your SCAF if you haven't visited it! It may be completely unsuitable for your DC

There are many factors to help you decide...

All the open days / eves for the selective girls schools in Dartford, Gravesham & Medway are after the respective results days so we'll know in advance if there's any point going - I assume this is the case for all selective schools but don't know for sure.

To be safe we are also visiting all the non-selective open events in Dartford & Gravesham which are all happening over the last week and next 2 weeks

You should also study the over-subscription criteria for each of the schools to determine if it is worth looking at - some are catchment area(s), some are scores only (super-selective), some are distance, and some are a combination of all 3.

For example, DD took (and passed) the Medway test this year and although both RGS and Fort Pitt are good for us to travel to, only RGS is worth considering as they go by scores only whereas Fort Pitt go by catchment. So Fort Pitt is highly unlikely for OOC to get in the further away you are

The individual schools publish their criteria - find the schools you are interested in here: http://webapps.kent.gov.uk/KCC.SchoolSe ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
doodles

Post by doodles »

DS2 was in the 423 year as well Shevek, and I'm pretty sure that it was a blip. It had never been that before nor since. 420 has been the maximum mark for a number of years, and as you say, last year the pass mark was 320 with a score of at least 106 in each paper.

I would advocate looking at as many of the schools that you are interested in as possible and doing your research on the admissions criteria so as not to waste a CAF space, and do please consider the journey as well. For both DS we looked at a number of schools, if only to cross them off the list because of things that were/weren't important to us.

Good luck, not too long to go now.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Shevek

Post by Shevek »

Ah, I thought it had varied a couple of other years as well - I stand corrected!
Sun&Sky88

Post by Sun&Sky88 »

Thank you both experienced members!
In that case what are both your views on having testing completed by July of Year 5 or done within the whole of the 6 week summer hols rather than come back to school and then face the Tests at the beginning of the academic year? Results are in in mid October roughly say and that means there really isn't that much time to view all the schools etc and make your mind up in such a short period of time - a decision that will potentially affect the 7 years decided in 2 or so weeks?
doodles

Post by doodles »

Many people do take the opportunity to visit schools in the autumn term of year 5, this then gives them a whole year to think about the options and then perhaps revisit just a few prior to submitting the CAF. Personally, we visited two schools in year 5 that we didn't revisit in year 6, we discounted them because of the admissions criteria and travel issues.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Shevek

Post by Shevek »

There are many things wrong with the testing process (a whole other conversation!) but I think taking it earlier would only make it worse. It's a momentous enough event for a 10/11 year old to deal with, let alone a 9/10 year old.

As doodles said, there is nothing to stop anyone visiting the open events a year early or even requesting personal visits in the summer term of Y5. Most schools will be happy to accommodate you.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Shevek, your crystal ball was more effective than mine and indeed it appears to be 423 again this year.....apologies, I was under the impression that our ds's year was a one off blip

http://www.kent.gov.uk/education-and-ch ... test#tab-5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Grammar school threshold 2016
To be given a grammar school assessment, children need to get a total score of 320 or more, with no single score lower than 106. The lowest possible score is 69 and the highest is 141 on each test. The highest possible total score is 423.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now