What else should we be doing? Help!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Animalmad

What else should we be doing? Help!

Post by Animalmad »

We are just starting out on this 11 plus journey and it's stressing me out already! My son is in year 5..he starts his tutor once a week one to one for an hour this weekend. He's also doing regular 10 minute bond test which he quite enjoys (I'm thinking about the online version, any one used it?). He's doing 10 mins a day of a times table app and 30 minutes reading (War Horse at the mo). We are reading a page each so we can discuss the vocal etc. Is this enough or are there other things we should be doing, either now or over the coming year? Thanks
DIYdad

Re: What else should we be doing? Help!

Post by DIYdad »

• 1) Prepare a list of 500 fancy words (Easier than you think - ask DS/DD to highlight all the words they dont know in tests, books etc.)
    2) Explore 1 word everyday including usage, tense etc. (maybe 2-3 during weekends and holidays)
    3) That will be a cool 500 word addition to your DS/DD vocabulary come next September, with little in terms of additional effort
ginx

Re: What else should we be doing? Help!

Post by ginx »

Reading and comprehension.

My ds2 came out of the exam saying that if he had read more, he might have managed to do some of the comprehension and understood the vocab used in verbal reasoning.

Check he is understanding everything he/you are reading.

Good luck! You have plenty of time.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now