Test Arrangements

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
l_bexley 2

Test Arrangements

Post by l_bexley 2 »

Has anyone received details about the January test arrangements for non-Kent entrants yet?

It's not that far off now!
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Not heard a peep!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

sorry, have you tried ringing KCC at Maidstone or Whitstable?
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Got my letter this morning. I had already emailed the Kent admissions people and got a reply from them today as well to say that the letters are being sent out in batches and should all be out by the end of this week.

The letter just gives directions to the test centre (Wilmington Grammar in our case) and start/finish times. I'd quite like to have seen details of how long each test is and how long they get between tests, but there's nothing like that.
l_bexley 2

Post by l_bexley 2 »

I agree - there is very little detail about the tests and timings.

An eight thirty start too!

Post by Guest »

As long as information on timing etc is not being given to in-county candidates (which it isn't) it would surely be rather unfair/ odd to give it to others. Parents with children at Kent primaries receive no communication at all from KCC. Not even a confirmation that their child is sitting the 11+ exam. The only information is that available on the website or, possibly, in the front of the general admissions booklet which is available to anyone.

Post by Guest »

As long as information on timing etc is not being given to in-county candidates (which it isn't) it would surely be rather unfair/ odd to give it to others. Parents with children at Kent primaries receive no communication at all from KCC. Not even a confirmation that their child is sitting the 11+ exam. The only information is that available on the website or, possibly, in the front of the general admissions booklet which is available to anyone.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

You'll have to excuse us out-of-County applicants. A few of us are from Bexley and, when our children did the the test in November, we were told exactly which paper they would be doing on which day (each of the 4 papers was given on a separate day) and how long each paper would be.

Are you saying that Kent children do all the papers on one day the same as the out-of-County applicants? I suppose that would make it fairer for everyone.
l_bexley 2

Post by l_bexley 2 »

What sort of confirmation would you expect? Are you saying Kent primary children don't know if they're taking the exams or not?

The letter to non-Kent entrants only tells you arrival and pick-ups times and what you need to bring. It would have been nice to at least had some outline of what my son could expect on the day. Especially as he is going to be left at a strange school, with people he doesn't know and have to sit four tests back-to-back!

By the way, does anyone know why they need to bring a ruler?
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Children who are sitting the 11+ test at their Kent state primary do know what to expect. They are told by the school which papers will be taken on which mornings (it is split over two consecutive school mornings) and given some idea of the start and end times, breaks etc.

The test conditions are not the same as for pupils who do not attend Kent state primary schools, or linked independent schools (ones who have agreed to follow the same procedures as the Kent state primaries). These other pupils have to sit all four tests in one Saturday morning at a test centre (usually a grammar school I think). Interestingly, according to KCC admissions, this group get higher scores on average than the other group. But they think this is probably because of the nature of the group, rather than that sitting all four tests on one morning is a good thing.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now