WoK - which site will you be giving preference for?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
watbogs

Re: WoK - which site will you be giving preference for?

Post by watbogs »

Totally agree with you mystery.
One of the office staff members replied to my emailed enquiry and admitted that the FAQ section of their website that the Head referred to in her speech was 'difficult to find' and that she'd 'spent some time searching for it' and she kindly sent me the link - but the info given isn't that comprehensive and staff are not fully briefed. I get the sense that no one really knows how it will work!

Other grammars (Wilmington, Dartford etc) have a very efficient coach/bus system run by outside providers such as private coach companies - I can't help but think it would be better if WoK just approached a few of these providers and asked about running a dedicated service from Sevenoaks Station and a few other areas.

My children are in year 5 - I shall be watching developments with interest - but accessibility will remain an issue. No one wants their 11 year old commuting via a rubbish train line to a largely unused train station or involving long and complicated bus journeys.
Mayfair321

Post by Mayfair321 »

I emailed the school and received this reply:

You can use the following link to find out which transport and routes you can use. I would think services are in place since the Trinity school has been open on the same site for over a year.

Our Tonbridge site postcode is: TN92JP.
The Sevenoaks Annex postcode is: TN13 3SL.

http://www.travelinesoutheast.org.uk/se ... eOffset=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Travel passes can be organised through the Young person travel pass site.
http://www.kent.gov.uk/roads-and-travel ... ravel-pass" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope they would eventually put on more buses as a lot of the buses clash with the arrival times of our trains and it is too far to walk from Sevenoaks station :roll:
mystery

Post by mystery »

Sounds as though by emailing you got a more helpful person then, or that they've improved since late last week. They need to as it is always possible that people who want the Tonbridge site get the Sevenoaks annexe -- and so when you fill in the CAF you need to know that you're happy getting to either site from your home address. Some of the staff there seem to be in denial about the annex or have not been given sufficient information to realise that it does not just affect 90 parents who definitely want and will go to the Sevenoaks annex. The existence of the annex in Sevenoaks means that the catchment could / should widen significantly. Going for a "new" school from a "new" catchment area, and one where you have to travel to a different school once a fortnight needs a bit more hand-holding than one might initially think.
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

Oh Dear!!

I just tried the link, (thanks Mayfair) so not looking good. Sevenoaks is a mile or so closer to us.

Tonbridge site:
15 min direct train journey

Sevenoaks site:
1hr 25mins taking 3 trains (ironically the first one to Tonbridge)
or
1hr 40mins on 3 buses!

hmmm..... :roll:

and thats taking into account all transport running on time.
woollywomble

Post by woollywomble »

We really like Weald - but only if we can go to Tonbridge and as that's not guaranteed I'm not sure we can choose it. Travelling to Sevenoaks is just not a viable option for us and my concern is that you have to accept the school place before you know which site you are allocated. How can you choose a school not knowing where you will be based? What if you have to turn down the Sevenoaks place and have no other school offers? The irony is the annexe was supposed to reduce travelling time and improve access but it may have the opposite effect!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Loopy Lou wrote:Oh Dear!!

I just tried the link, (thanks Mayfair) so not looking good. Sevenoaks is a mile or so closer to us.

Tonbridge site:
15 min direct train journey

Sevenoaks site:
1hr 25mins taking 3 trains (ironically the first one to Tonbridge)
or
1hr 40mins on 3 buses!

hmmm..... :roll:

and thats taking into account all transport running on time.
Will a combination of train and bus do it?

Have you tried explaining the problem to Weald and how it might affect your choice?
7oaksmum

Post by 7oaksmum »

Hello,
Re: Weald of Kent sites

When you select WoK on your SCAF, there is mention of a supplementary form. On this form you can select which site that you would like your daughter to attend.

Here is a link to the form. The campus selection part is page 11.
http://upload.reactcdn.co.uk/wealdofken ... -final.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is what it says:
"Supplementary Information Form (SIF) for 2017/18 Admissions
This form does not constitute a valid application. You must complete the relevant KCC Application Form
(SCAF or IYCAF) if you wish your daughter to be considered for a place at Weald of Kent Grammar School,
these are available directly from KCC or online at http://www.kent.gov.uk/ola" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
The following sections should be completed and returned to the school to indicate your site preference
(Tonbridge or Sevenoaks Annexe)."

There are already really good/regular bus links to this site, as Trinity School is immediately next door to the WoK annexe and operates a stream of buses to and from the school. Trinity have also been very supportive of the new annexe. Here is a link to their website, giving all of the bus companies details, which is really helpful!
http://www.trinitysevenoaks.org.uk/key- ... to-school/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The annexe is shooting up and if you haven't already seen the plans, they are available from WoK. It looks amazing! As a Sevenoaks parent, very excited to finally have a grammar school here!

I hope this info might help some of you.
Best of luck everyone! :D
Mayfair321

Post by Mayfair321 »

I thought we only need to complete the site preference form if/when we receive an offer?
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

I am confused ... 7oaksmum ... i see on KCC site the reference to the supplementary form but cannot access it.

Is the site request to be selected now or in March do you know. I can't see anywhere on KCC site for this information to be input ?
kent mum
piggymom

Post by piggymom »

Have talked to the HT today at WoK.

She mentioned that KCC has already agreed to run proper large buses (she said not the yellow school bus but the real, big one) to pick children up around the Sevenoaks area for those who are allocated the Sevenoaks Annex. The parents around who gathered around and heard that, seemed to be much relieved.

One suggested the HT to put this info onto the website as many parents "on the forum" seem to be quite worry, and the HT said she will.

So hopefully the commute issue will help to ease the mind of some worrying parents.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now