Mayfield Cut Off

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Salma1972

Mayfield Cut Off

Post by Salma1972 »

Hi,

Of curiosity, is anyone aware of the Mayfield cutoff score this year?

Many thanks,
doodles

Re: Mayfield Cut Off

Post by doodles »

Do you mean Mayfield Girls School? In which case you may be better moving this to the independent section.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Salma1972

Post by Salma1972 »

Hi,

I am referring to Mayfield Girls Grammar School in Gravesend, thanks.
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

As far as I know there is no lowest score for Mayfield. A girl needs a pass in the 11+ or Mayfield Test, and after looked after children and siblings, the places go on postcodes and distance.

Have you looked on Mayfield's own website?

The oversubscription criteria are...

1. Looked after girls

2. Siblings

3. Girls living in DA3, DA4, DA9, DA10, DA11, DA12, DA13, ME3.

4. Girls living in DA1, DA2, ME2, TN13, TN14, TN15

5. Girls who do not live in the above postcodes.

If there's one last place and two girls live exactly the same distance from the school, then the girl with the highest score gets the place. That's the only time the score is used.

I know a friend of a friend who has a TN15 postcode and her daughter has not been offered a place, even though she passed the 11+ and Mayfield Test. She is on the waiting list.

As you can see, TN15 is the last postcode in category 4. I presume that no-one in category 5 was eligible as the school had filled up with girls in higher categories.

Are you in Medway? Did you daughter pass the Kent 11+or Mayfield Test? Is your postcode listed above, or are you in category 5?

I'm just asking because you sound like you're hoping for a place for your daughter with a certain score.

Edited to add......the pass mark was 320 with at least 106 being scored in all 3 sections.
A child could in theory score much higher than 320 but only score 100 in one section, thereby not being deemed a pass.
Salma1972

Post by Salma1972 »

Ok I think i understand, cut off irrelevant with sibling/distance based entry criteria.

An offered GS place has been accepted.

I was merely curious as to whether DD could have acquired a place at Mayfield GGGS or not, I presume merely being resident in a DA12 postcode and having passed the 11+ exam she would have.

Thanks for your help
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

That's not what the admissions policy says for 2017. It says that in the event of oversubscription in each of the categories, places will be allocated firstly by score then (presumably when there's a tie on score) by distance.

So a lower score with a DA12 postcode would have priority over a higher score from a (say) DA1 postcode, but two girls in DA12 would be ranked on score before address.
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

Salma1972.....presumably with you living in DA12 and if your daughter passed, yes she would have been offered a place.

Streathammum....You're right about when oversubscription comes into play about the scores within categories, but some postcodes and distances are listed before others, therefore making distance more important than score initially.

My point was about the allocation of places (maybe clumsily put, sorry!) is that the pass scores only come into play within area postcodes and some are nearer than others. Some postcodes are in a higher category because they're nearer to the school.

DA12 is in category 3 and DA1 in category 4, so yes, a lower score may get in over the higher one, for the girl in the higher category who lives nearer. Therefore distance comes over score in this instance but we the parents do not know what those scores are.

The OP was asking about the cut off score for Mayfield. There isn't a cut off score that's published, as postcodes and distance are used first, then score, for oversubscription within the same category. I presume a KCC computer works all that out!

Some years the school has been undersubscribed so the oversubscription criteria have not been needed at all anyway. All places were offered to all applicants who applied who had a pass.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

But score is very important. All the girls in the first category of postcodes will be ranked by score. They all take priority over the girls in the second category of postcodes, but compete against each other. So unless ALL the girls within the first category of postcodes are offered a place, then score will be used to work out who will get an offer.
Salma1972

Post by Salma1972 »

Thanks all for responses :)
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

This old thread refers to a score of 359 in one of the outer catchments in a past year - I presume it will be different depending on the category. https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... hp?t=49028" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now