Judd or Tonbridge

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Beaconnewmum

Judd or Tonbridge

Post by Beaconnewmum »

We find ourselves in the fortunate position of having both the above schools in our sights (my son scored 390 plus and has a 'green light' from Tonbridge). However as the time gets closer to offer day and as such being forced to make a decision I find myself completely at a loss as to which school to select for my son. I was wondering if any other parents have chosen between these two schools and would be willing to share what lead to their decisions either way? We are trying to not be swayed by the financial angle. Any advice, stories, experiences gratefully received.
doodles

Re: Judd or Tonbridge

Post by doodles »

How about a pros and cons list comparing the schools? They are both good schools but different, apart from the obvious state v indie, so you need to consider how each would fit your son.

Don't forget to consider the fact that Tonbridge have Saturday school and also finish later on a normal day so you may need to factor in how that affects your family life or current commitments.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
LocalTWmum1

Post by LocalTWmum1 »

Please choose Tonbridge, thereby freeing up a place for a local, bright child at Judd with parents who can't afford private school fees :wink:
mystery

Post by mystery »

Doesn't Tonbridge still start at 13?
doodles

Post by doodles »

It does, but from OP's name I'm making an educated guess that her DS is at one of the local prep schools and therefore has the option to stay until the end of year 8.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Beaconnewmum

Post by Beaconnewmum »

Thanks for the replies so far - yes my boy is currently in the prep system so could stay where he is until year 8, and then move across. The two different start points are what I am anxious about tbh, I worry if Judd will be a bit too overwhelming at 11. Can any Judd mums/dads out there alleviate my fears on this? What is the pastoral care like in a school like Judd?
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

I have boys at Judd and we have been extremely pleased with the school. In my experience the pastoral care is very good. If you want to pm me with specific questions, please do.
Twinkle
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

I would add that the vast majority of children in the country go to secondary school at 11. It is of course a huge step and for most children there will be challenges to deal with, but that is part of growing up and gaining independence. I often feel sorry for the boys who do not move school until 13 as I feel that they are marking time before they get the independence of secondary school. Every child is of course different and you will know whether your son needs those extra 2 years in the prep school.
Beaconnewmum

Post by Beaconnewmum »

Thanks Twinkle - I am aware that I am dithering over an issue that lots of children simply have to get on with - what makes it a harder choice is that my son is young for the school year and very happy at his current prep. His prep is keen for him to stay on, it's a feeder for Tonbridge so good for their stats so I can't get any impartial advice there. I am also worried about him just being seen as a number, and getting a bit lost in the crowd.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

I feel that the staff all know my boys very well and they have each developed very good relationships with staff. I definitely do not think that they are treated as a number. We know boys at Judd who are also the youngest in the year and they have flourished. There is a niche for all the boys. I think you may be worrying too much. Why don't you ring the school when you get your offer and ask whether it would be possible to have another look around and / or meet with the Head of pastoral care if you have any specific worries.

In order to ease the transition for new boys ( and many will come as the only boy from their primary school) there is an evening event in probably May / June when the boys come with their parents to school. They are allocated their class / house and meet other boys in their class/ house. There will also be a taster day in June / July on a school day when the boys have a few lessons with their class, a football fiesta one weekend in July when boys can play in a tournament with the new boys in their year and very often there is a summer get together at the end of Year 6 organised by the PTA on an area basis so that new boys get to know other new boys who live locally to them.