Worded maths questions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
monochromecat

Worded maths questions

Post by monochromecat »

Dd (yr5) has a fairly solid grasp of maths but finds worded questions harder, she finds it hard to see which info is relevant once you throw in a plumber and a call-out charge :D

Any materials which might specifically address these? We have the gl papers but not wanting to do them until after Easter. Would ideally like 10 min ones because dd likes that format and it is working well for her with some comprehension ones. CGP have one but it is for their tests.
Guest55

Re: Worded maths questions

Post by Guest55 »

I would suggest you get her to make up questions so she begins to see the 'important' bits.

Start with a fact e.g. an apple costs 20p. Now make up a single stage problem.

An apple costs 20p.
How many apples can I buy for £2.

Then multi-step

An apple costs 20p.
Alan buys 7 and pays with a £5 note.
How much change does he get?

Also collect vocab for 'add' e.g. altogether and 'subtract' etc.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

You could also go through the question and highlight the important bits.

E.g. Does it matter if it is apples? Does it matter if they cost 20p each?
Is the fact he is called Alan important? Would it change the answer if he was called Bob? Etc.

Cut up questions and sort into relevant and non relevant with an undecided pile. You can then get to her to explain why she chose that pile.

Making up her own is also good, get her to give you some questions to do.
monochromecat

Post by monochromecat »

Thank you, some great suggestions, she likes making up maths questions so I will try her on this. I found a random generator online which also clearly shows how the questions are formed. I will get her to generate a myriad of Harry Potter questions.
Each class lasts 55 minutes with ten minutes between classes to allow for random staircase movements. The first class is potions. Hermione then goes to Herbology, uses her time turner to go back one hour and then studies Divination with Harry and Ron. If they all started classes at 9.10 a)what time would show on Harry's analogue watch at the end of Divination b) what time would be on Hermione's watch.

If only the 11 plus had questions like that rather than trains and plumbers she would be fine!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

If you google maths word problems Harry Potter Year 5 there are loads of examples. May give you a start?