Dartford grammar school for boys scores 2017

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
theonly1

Re: Dartford grammar school for boys scores 2017

Post by theonly1 »

I am waiting to have a chat with my Yr7 DS at DGS whose friend got last minute offer at DGS in September. His 1st offer was WGSB and it would be interesting to know how close or far away was he from last year's IC cut off point.

I will update once I have this info.
salsa

Post by salsa »

theonly1 wrote:I am waiting to have a chat with my Yr7 DS at DGS whose friend got last minute offer at DGS in September. His 1st offer was WGSB and it would be interesting to know how close or far away was he from last year's IC cut off point.

I will update once I have this info.
Gosh, September! People do wait to give their places up!
theonly1

Post by theonly1 »

@ Salsa, tell me about it. You wonder why people wait till last minute. Have now posted both acceptance and waiting list letter.

Not sure what criteria is used for waiting list though.
olucares

Post by olucares »

theonly1 wrote:@ Salsa, tell me about it. You wonder why people wait till last minute. Have now posted both acceptance and waiting list letter.

the over subscription criteria for each school is used for the waiting lists as well.
salsa

Post by salsa »

theonly1 wrote:@ Salsa, tell me about it. You wonder why people wait till last minute. Have now posted both acceptance and waiting list letter.

People are on the waiting list at another school and if offered they give up their original allocated school, and so it goes the chain.
You'll now enter the second round. This means that KCC will re-run the process taking into consideration those who rejected the school for whatever reason, mainly because they took a private offer. They can also go on the waiting list lower down in their list in Kent (this is not allowed in other local authorities).

Let's hope that with 351 you have a good chance of a few children giving up their place if they are going to an independent school.

So, after 28th April, if you still don't have a place, then you need to contact the school itself to go onto their waiting list. You will then have a rank. So, they'll tell you that you are, say, 3rd on the waiting list. Now, don't be complacent as people appeal for both non qualification and oversubscription. If appeals are successful, and normally there are from 6 to 10, then the school becomes full and you have no chance. So, do appeal! Wilmington was made to open an extra class about 4 years ago as there were over 20 successful appeals.

If nobody got in on appeal, then you would have a better chance. Do remember that there are two waiting lists and you belong to the in area one which has a few people in front of you. This, however, is unlikely; There are successful appeals every year.

I'm not sure if at this point you can put your name for the waiting list of a school you didn't put on your original form. Say, you now decide that Gravesend is a good option. I think you can. Does anybody know?

How do you feel about Wilmington? Some people prefer it because they do A levels. How does your boy feel?

Salsa
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

salsa wrote:

I'm not sure if at this point you can put your name for the waiting list of a school you didn't put on your original form. Say, you now decide that Gravesend is a good option. I think you can. Does anybody know?

Salsa
As I posted on the 'Changing Preferences' thread:

According to the Kent CC website,

"If you are still unhappy you can put your child on the waiting list or make an appeal for any of the schools you applied for. You can do either or both for the same school or for different schools. For example, you can appeal for one school and put your child on the waiting list for another".

(My italics).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
salsa

Post by salsa »

ToadMum wrote:
salsa wrote:

Salsa
As I posted on the 'Changing Preferences' thread:

According to the Kent CC website,

"If you are still unhappy you can put your child on the waiting list or make an appeal for any of the schools you applied for. You can do either or both for the same school or for different schools. For example, you can appeal for one school and put your child on the waiting list for another".

(My italics).
Yes, that's the normal case, but Kent are even more flexible, I believe. Let me ask someone whom I thought had not put a school at all, but could do so after the second round.

Salsa
theonly1

Post by theonly1 »

Thanks for the great insight Salsa and ToadMum. My DS is quite relaxed about it all and is happy with either WGSB or DGSB. I will opt for both waiting list option and appeal. 3 boys scored 351 in Dartford Borough so would be interesting to know how they are ranked on the waiting list. I would want the IB route for him later on but this is still doable after his GCSE.
salsa

Post by salsa »

You are welcome. You'll get your ranking after the second round, but do remember that there might have been more Dartford residents who scored 351 and go to either private or state schools outside of Kent, for example Bexley. Those did not appear on the Kent spreadsheet.
RoboR

Post by RoboR »

Does anyone have any idea if the OOA cut off will go down after the 2nd allocation ? a friends son scored 381 :-( was their 1st choice.