Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hempsteadlad

Re: When to move?

Post by hempsteadlad »

Sparkle16 wrote:
PettswoodFiona wrote:
hempsteadlad wrote:31 October is the closing date and they would use the address on the CAF as to your address. Some schools might give a week or so leeway, but they dont have to. Be warned.
Kent allow, or have so for that past years I've known families applying to schools, to notify of an address change in the first week of December. The admissions booklet outlines all this. It has been known for families to take the test, realise they've passed but not a top score and move closer. You have to prove it ties etc and is all within their admissions criteria but is a load of upheaval!

+1
I know of a family who moved into West Dartford area last December whose son has now got Dartford grammar with a score of 365(i/c), they had to cancel their original application in Essex and submit a paper application to Kent Council in December after moving in..
Kent do not always apply matters universally, move by 31 Oct to be on the safe side.
salsa

Re: When to move?

Post by salsa »

This year the date was 9th December, but you should contact the school and get it in writing. If you moved before 31st October, you can apply via the Kent website. If you move later, you would need to contact KCC to inform them of your change of address and submit your letting agreement or documentation relating to your buying a new house. I don't know if they also ask for bills, etc. So, it's easier to move before 31st October from the paperwork point of view. Also, Kent only have 4 schools that you can put on the SCAF whereas the London boroughs, for example, allow for six preferences. So, you'd need to tell Kent which four schools to keep in your list.

I don't know what the school may then require before or after March. They can ask for extra proof that you are living in the place. Bills, council tax bill, child benefit letter, etc.

If you move before the exam, you need to make sure that the non grammar options are good as a child may, for whatever reason, not pass. So, make sure you move in catchment of good comprehensive schools. I don't know your area, so I couldn't comment.

In the case of Dartford Boys, people move after they have their results around mid October as the local options are not very good. It's of course easier if you are renting, but if you are buying, I think it would be a tall order to exchange before 9th December.

The other consideration in your case is what to do after you move. Would you move primary school for just one year? Who would take your daughter to school?

Your best bet would be to move now to be in catchment of a good primary and good comprehensives. It would be better for your daughter to settle in the area before secondary school.
About travel, I have a friend who travels to London and his journey door to door is 90 minutes each way. Your husband may want to delay the whole process!

By the way, if your daughter has an Oyster card, she would travel for free, even on the train, until she reaches 11.

Good luck, moving is very stressful. You're starting a new job that may not work out and you may want to also wait until you're settled. Starting a new primary with new friends, etc may severely upset your daughter; she most likely will miss her friends and home. This may have a negative impact on her learning and make it harder for her to pass. Not the easiest of things to do!

Salsa