Year 5 NFER Scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sas1

Year 5 NFER Scores

Post by Sas1 »

We have just received our DC's NFER scores for Year 5 and based on scores teachers are incinuating not to bother with entering DC for the Kent Test, as we will have to deal with them feeling like a failure (teachers words).

Suggestion from teachers is only enter if score 120+ in NVR, VR and Maths. DC has scored under this but between 100-109 across subjects. Oddly DC scored higher in Year 3 and 4 (120-122) and no reason given by school for the drop in scores.

As parents we feel it's still worth considering entering for the Kent Test as still 6 months away and deserves the chance to have a try. Additionally DC is attending an 11+ group, which DC has scored higher in when tested each term (scoring 118).

School is known for not supporting the Kent Test or pro-grammar so wondering if it's more the schools attitude or if we are being unrealistic based on the NFER results?

Any advice/thoughts/experience welcome. Thanks

Report this post
PerpetualStudent

Re: Year 5 NFER Scores

Post by PerpetualStudent »

Hi Sas1,

While not an expert on these tests my observation has been that DCs usually do a bit better on the tests after the first experience - the benefit of familiarisation. Therefore I would read the 3rd, most recent test as just the result of a bad day perhaps.
Since your DC is already taking part in an 11+ group stopping now might lead to a loss of self-confidence. Many forumites have mentioned that doing the 11+ prep has benefits for DC's knowledge and understanding beyond the significance of the exam result itself. So your DC is likely to gain from the extra study especially if it isn't highly pressurised.
See how it goes, evaluate for yourself the strengths and weaknesses you see, and help to fix gaps in knowledge. All students do better with a bit of training in exam technique.
Also remember the 11+ test is just a measure of performance on one test on one day - not the total sum of DC.
In conclusion, I would say keep going, and be positive but don't oversell the 11+ as the be all and end all. Look at other options as well.
salsa

Post by salsa »

+1. Good advice. I would make sure he's gone through the GL papers. Are you going for a super selective?
The 11 + requires good knowledge of English and Maths, so it won't hurt to brush up on those skills.
Good luck!

Salsa
Sas1

Post by Sas1 »

Thanks for the replies. No schools here are not super selective.
We feel perhaps a bad day too given other years results and test experience is good but school are basically writting DC off which as a parent is not what you want to hear.
We are going to enter DC regardless as we feel they deserve the opportunity to have a go, its not the be all and end all.
sobz70

Post by sobz70 »

I wouldn't worry too much, my daughter was also the same but we practiced a lot of test papers and she sat all three grammar tests- Bexley, Bromley and kent. Kent was not too bad compared to the others so I am sure your DC will be fine with some practice.
Be positive.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now