Wilmington Grammar School for Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
olalkn

Wilmington Grammar School for Girls

Post by olalkn »

I have been looking for information on Wilmington Grammar School for Girls on this forum,but seems no one is talking about it.
My girl just been offered a place,we are OOC.
sobz70

Re: Wilmington Grammar School for Girls

Post by sobz70 »

Where are you based? I know of two OOC children.
olalkn

Post by olalkn »

sobz70 wrote:Where are you based? I know of two OOC children.

Dagenham
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

olalkn wrote:

Dagenham
Gosh. Presumably she got one of the elusive Governors' places? Congratulations :D .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
sobz70

Post by sobz70 »

They are in the Bexley area, they will have a bus from Bexleyheath that goes there so the plan is to drop the kids at the bus stop in the mornings. How are you planning to travel? There are no coaches there unfortunately.
lefol

Post by lefol »

Out of interest, does anyone know the cut off distance this year ?
watbogs

Post by watbogs »

Hi ToadMum,
I haven't looked at Wilm Girls as we're OOC and thought we didn't stand a chance. What's a 'Governors' place'? Some special scheme? I googled and searched the school website but couldn't find anything on it
ToadMum wrote:
olalkn wrote:

Dagenham
Gosh. Presumably she got one of the elusive Governors' places? Congratulations :D .
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

watbogs wrote:Hi ToadMum,
I haven't looked at Wilm Girls as we're OOC and thought we didn't stand a chance. What's a 'Governors' place'? Some special scheme? I googled and searched the school website but couldn't find anything on it

From the admissions criteria (courtesy of Kent CC website):
6. Governor Places awarded to girls who have shown exceptional performance in the Mathematics
paper of the Kent test - Up to 10% of the PAN (15 places) will be awarded to those children who through
the tests have shown an exceptional performance which places them in the top 15 selective places in
Mathematics. In case of tied scores distance will be used. If in the unlikely event that more than one
applicant has the same distance from home to school, as measured by the Local Authority, then an
independently adjudicated random selection will be applied.

A neighbour of ours used to work in Wilmington and got totally fed up with the Dartford Crossing, but we are further east than Dagenham and children are much more resilient than middle aged men :lol: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
turnip08

Post by turnip08 »

Yes a friend's DD got a place at Wilmington a couple of years ago in the second round, I think. As I understand it, it is awarded to OCC with strong maths scores. Remember, even though it says the top 15 selective scores, it only applies, of course, to the girls who included Wilmington on the application form. I can't say for sure, but have a feeling my friend's daughter was in the top 150-200 on the maths score (OCC but can't be 100% sure).
She seems happy a couple of years in. Her daughter could have got Newstead but my friend decided she wanted her daughter have the opportunity to shine and be in the top sets.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now