Mayfield Cut Off

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

inkypinkyponky

Re: Mayfield Cut Off

Post by inkypinkyponky »

Yes, score is important, but only if the oversubscription criteria come into play. Nearer distance puts some girls in a higher category, over those who score higher. Some years the school has been undersubscribed so all with a pass were offered a place.

Having a daughter and nieces at Mayfield I know we were told at the initial parents evenings that a pass will be adequate to achieve a place if you live in one the nearer postcodes in category 3.

Those who live in the outer postcodes in category 4 are warned that each year's cohort applications are different. The school can't give a definitive score of who usually gets in because they don't know who is going to apply that year and from where.

If places are offered to only some in category 4, a girl who scores the maximum but is in category 5 on distance, then her score becomes irrelevant, she lives too far away.

There is no one single cut off score for Mayfield, which is what Salama1972 asked about.

The school do not publish a cut off score, so we don't know what the last placed girl in a category scored. That info might be available by a FOI request.

Salma1972 was asking if her daughter would have got a place from her postcode with a pass, if she had applied.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Then the useful information is that in most years all the girls in the inner area get a place.

But it is confusing to suggest that distance isn't a factor - it might not be for the OP but it will be for others who might see this thread.
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

Who suggests that distance isn't a factor?
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

My mistake - I mean to write that it's confusing to suggest that score isn't a factor. Apologies.
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

Oh, that makes sense now, I see what you mean :D

I'm not suggesting score isn't a factor at all, only for oversubscription.

Others who see this thread can read the school's oversubscription criteria and work put what category they are in. I'm sure that those who see they are in the lower categories will know that they may not get a place on distance, whatever their daughter's score, because they will attend parents evenings, open days and evenings and the head teacher's talks. They can also phone the school at any time for guidance.

There's nothing wrong in encouraging their daughter to strive for a high score, but no good telling them they'll definitely get a place with a high score, because they may be in category 5 and places only go to category 4.

The admission criteria has been published on the website for entry in September 2018 but after that it may change. Someone looking at this thread in a few years would have to look at current info from the school.

If you think the school should be telling parents that score is the more important than over distance, then you'll have to talk to the headteacher!
Shevek

Post by Shevek »

Just to add to this, we are in a level 3 postcode (and if the order listed is in precedence, then a high precedence one), DD passed the Mayfield test but not the Kent test, and we were not offered a place.

We are hoping to get a waiting list place when the letter comes (tomorrow apparently?)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now