Standardisation and pass marks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
thehorder

Post by thehorder »

I see your point dadofkent, will have to think this through a little more, are you for the six places on the CAF form.

thehorder
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

It doesn't mean that Bexley residents are able to apply to schools "armed with their results". The CAF means that we list our schools in order of preference regardless of which borough/County the schools are in. For example, we have listed two Bexley Grammar schools as preferences 1 and 2, two Kent grammars as preferences 3 and 4, and two Bexley non-selective schools as preferences 5 and 6. We had to submit the CAF in October and won't know the results of the Bexley or Kent tests before March.

However, from next year we will receive results of Bexley tests before the CAF is submitted - I'm not sure if Kent will be going down the same route.

I would like to add that, while Kent parents may envy Bexley parents their ability to list 6 preferences, you might bear in mind the fact that many Bexley children who pass the 11+ are denied access to a grammar school. If you live in the north of the borough and are outside the normal distance requirement for a grammar school, unless your child is in the top 180 or has a sibling at a grammar school they will not get a grammar place. I know several children who have passed the 11+ and not been offered a place at a grammar.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

When I talkof the kent test, I mean as it applies to us in the far south east. (water to the right of us).

The ofsted report on Folkestone School for Girls mentioned that they have a far wider range of entrants and they have a good value added score.

Pupils can go to grammar schools here with a lower score than elswhere (lets face it 50% of the catchment area are fish)
cindy

Post by cindy »

Dear Robo and all,

Peter gave a good link last year, this may be of some use to you!

http://www.nfer.ac.uk/research-areas/as ... -ranks.cfm

Cindy
denis denis

Post by denis denis »

yoyo123 wrote:When I talkof the kent test, I mean as it applies to us in the far south east. (water to the right of us).

The ofsted report on Folkestone School for Girls mentioned that they have a far wider range of entrants and they have a good value added score.

Pupils can go to grammar schools here with a lower score than elswhere (lets face it 50% of the catchment area are fish)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
banksy1

kent admissions

Post by banksy1 »

Hi I work in a Kent school and general thought is the eleven+ will be held in Sept so as of Bexley people keep speaking about you will have your results before you have to make your choice on your CAF admissions which to me seems to make sense.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

thehorder wrote:I see your point dadofkent, will have to think this through a little more, are you for the six places on the CAF form.

thehorder
If I was pushed, I am all for pupils having to abide by the rules of the area in which they live, and only being able to choose schools in that area. I find the practice of people fishing around and hoping to strike lucky, or improve their lot, at the expense of pupils, and indeed Council tax payers, of adjacent areas a little unsavoury.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

DadofKent - rather a sweeping statement!

When I first started down the secondary school route with my children I confess to feeling rather irritated that, although Bexley has enough grammar places for approximately 25% of its own children, considerably fewer than this get grammar places because of the influx of candidates from surrounding areas such as Greenwich, Bromley and Kent.

However, I think it is overly simplistic to suggest we should all stick to our own areas, especially in the days of so-called parental choice when we are encouraged to find the school which best suits our child. It would be terrible for children living on the border of two areas if they were denied access to a suitable school down the road in a neighbouring area and had to travel further to a less suitable school in their own area.

Sorry if you find my looking outside of Bexley "unsavoury". If my son passes the 11+, unless he is in the top 180 he is unlikely to be eligible for a place at 3 of the 4 grammars in Bexley (2 on distance; 1 because it is girls only). I have no choice but to look further afield.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Bexley Mum 2 wrote:DadofKent - rather a sweeping statement!

When I first started down the secondary school route with my children I confess to feeling rather irritated that, although Bexley has enough grammar places for approximately 25% of its own children, considerably fewer than this get grammar places because of the influx of candidates from surrounding areas such as Greenwich, Bromley and Kent.

However, I think it is overly simplistic to suggest we should all stick to our own areas, especially in the days of so-called parental choice when we are encouraged to find the school which best suits our child. It would be terrible for children living on the border of two areas if they were denied access to a suitable school down the road in a neighbouring area and had to travel further to a less suitable school in their own area.

Sorry if you find my looking outside of Bexley "unsavoury". If my son passes the 11+, unless he is in the top 180 he is unlikely to be eligible for a place at 3 of the 4 grammars in Bexley (2 on distance; 1 because it is girls only). I have no choice but to look further afield.
Parental Choice also extends to where one chooses to live.
thehorder

Post by thehorder »

Cindy, great link, that explained a lot to me... I now nearly understand the scoring, or part of the way.... the horder