Devestated

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MGSMUM

Devestated

Post by MGSMUM »

We received our son's allocation this afternoon - unfortunately he didn't pass the 11+, despite all level 5's in optional SATS last year, and being in the top sets in his year (in fact since year 3). It's really strange being at both ends of this system - my eldest son got through 2 years ago without trouble, and, whilst we weren't complacent, we though son 2 would be OK - he's as bright, if not brighter than our eldest son.

I won't know what his marks were until tomorrow, so I don't know what I'm dealing with just yet, but any advice etc on appeals for MGS would be really welcome - I've not the first idea where to start with this.

My son has been fantastic this evening - initially he was very upset, but he seems to have decided that 'what will be will be', and these things happen for a reason. From my own perspective, it's not that he's not succeeded in the 11+ - I know his abilities, it's the school that he will go to instead - I'm not inspired by it, and I worry that he will not fulfill his potential. I could look at other schools out of the immediate area, but I don't know my chances of getting in, and in reality, how practical is it going to be? I have a 5 year old who I need to get to and from school, and both myself and my husband work.

There's so many questions spinning around in my head, and I just don't know what to do for the best.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hang in there - get his results and we can help with the appeal -
MGSMUM

Post by MGSMUM »

Well, I've found out his results. 128 in VR, 118 in NVR and bizarrely 114 in maths. So 3 points away in total. Yet his Year 5 maths results in the optional SAT's was a 5a.

Just goes to show, it what happens on the day.

The school are going to fully support an appeal, and seem to think that we have a good chance.
c'est la vie

Post by c'est la vie »

MGSMUM wrote:Well, I've found out his results. 128 in VR, 118 in NVR and bizarrely 114 in maths. So 3 points away in total. Yet his Year 5 maths results in the optional SAT's was a 5a.

Just goes to show, it what happens on the day.

The school are going to fully support an appeal, and seem to think that we have a good chance.
Experience has proved to me that there is very little correlation between the SAT's and the 11+ papers.

The former is designed as a building block which leads onto the syllabuses in subsequent Key stages 3, 4 and 5 and the latter is a measure of both inherent and tutored ability.
MGSMUM

Post by MGSMUM »

Thanks for your comments, c'est la vie. I'm starting to think that I have been incredibly naive in being reasonably comfortable in the fact that my son has always achieved excellent SAT's and been in the top sets, and top reading group throughout his primary school years. I have been told that he is academically bright and that, in his teachers' opinions, he would do well at a Grammar. Looking at my eldest son's history at the same primary school who is now in year eight - (sorry couldn't type the number without the emoticon appearing!) his academic history was not as strong - yet he sailed the 11+.

I'm asking myself so many questions, and what could I have done differently? Friends that have passed had tutors - I didn't go down that route because he was top sets and was thriving at school, I didn't think that there was a need. Was I naive in my thinking?

I could beat myself up forever about this, but I now have to move on and appeal for him - on academic grounds. I'm not looking forward to it, and I know from others how stressful it is.
c'est la vie

Devestated

Post by c'est la vie »

See my post on new Appeals Code on the 'Good luck' thread. :(
kentmum

Post by kentmum »

SAT tests are considered as evidence of academic achievement. The advice on this site is to provide a range of evidence so if the school also has standardised test scores in CAT tests for example then these should be used too.

You have nothing to lose by appealing. It is a stressful process. Be guided by your child, we asked our son and followed his wishes, yes it was worth it because we won, but we made it absolutely clear that we had a very slim chance and encouraged him to look positively at the school he was allocated. We did such a good job, he nearly fell over with the shock!

Happy to share our appeal letter with you if you want ideas on presentation.
Dartford Dad

Post by Dartford Dad »

Good luck MGSMUM.
We are in the same appealing situation as you, and are very interested in the post above from Kentmum, regarding her appeal letter.
Kentmum we have sent you a PM
Thanks