Accelerated Learning

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

Re: Accelerated Learning

Post by mystery »

It is only a low percentage of children get grade 9s in English or maths this year.

Sorry live too far away to know anything real about these schools - other than that it was Invicta that originally toyed with the idea of an annexe in Sevenoaks and Sevenoaks campaign wanted them, not weald of kent which now has the annexe. It was all very odd but probably not much help in you deciding which is the better school for your child!

What do the GCSE results tell you for what they're worth? I presume the intakes are similar in academic and socio-economic terms so if the results of one school are consistently significantly better than the other school it tells you something e.g. that they fiddle it somehow!

Do you live locally? Do you know people with children at each of the schools to get a feel for it? Maybe they show you their children's books?!!
salsa

Post by salsa »

Guest55 wrote:Universities want to see GCSEs taken at the same time ...
Why is that?

Salsa
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Taking them at the same time shows they can cope with the workload - ditto A levels.
Silver

Post by Silver »

I do live locally but I don't know anyone at either school
salsa

Post by salsa »

Guest55 wrote:Taking them at the same time shows they can cope with the workload - ditto A levels.
Fair enough. However, what if the school pushes them in that direction? My son's school have decided that for the new intake, and for those children doing really well in their oriental language, that they will take their GCSE in year 10. (They have to do either Mandarin or Japanese)

It does seem a good idea from the point of view of distributing the work.

Salsa
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

Schools around here do an accelerated KS3 - i.e. they cover KS3 in 2 years so that they can spend 3 years preparing for GCSEs. Maybe that is what they mean?

I was interested to note, whilst checking out the OCR spec for DD, that their suggested scheme of work for music was for a 3 year course. Not sure if that is true for other subjects.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes - it could be what they mean by accelerated learning. It could mean anything.
Eddas

Post by Eddas »

They don't take their GCSE's early at Invicta. My daughter is in year 9 there and she will take them in year 11. None of them take them early.

They do however start their GCSE options in year 9 unlike a lot of schools where they start in year 10. I haven't specifically heard the term accelerated learning used, so not sure what that means. But they are very helpful so i'm sure if you call or email someone will explain it to you
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I think a lot of schools are now starting GCSE courses in year 9.
scary mum
Eddas

Post by Eddas »

You might be right Scary Mum.

MGGS don't start there's until year 10, my daughter has friend's there and they haven't choose their options yet. thought i'd mention as OP comparing the 2 schools.