Does anyone know the process of the headteacher's appeal?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Silver

Does anyone know the process of the headteacher's appeal?

Post by Silver »

Hi

I am just interested in the actual process if anyone can enlighten me. Do they actually attend an appeal with the evidence etc and get the result there and then as to whether they have passed. Also does anyone know how long the process takes. Eg. Is it likely to get done this week and results this week? Thank you.
gravesendgal

Re: Does anyone know the process of the headteacher's appeal

Post by gravesendgal »

see my post on medway
Crackerjax

Post by Crackerjax »

Hello,
As far as I'm aware the Head's have results already and books have been taken. They then prepare evidence for those expected to pass but didn't along with their reasons for appealing that child (A4 form with little space so short and to the point).
They do not appeal all kids, only those they think are grammar standard. It then goes before a panel of local head teachers who make the decision and then it is then signed off by the chair of the panel .. who in our case happened to be the Head our local gs. This process is a quick turnaround as obviously needs to ready for results day. The only way you will know if you have had a lucky hta is if you are assessed gs suitable, but then see online that you have not reached the required min score.
You will only see how your head appealed if you are unlucky with hta and go to full appeal.
Silver

Post by Silver »

Crackerjax thank you for your reply. That was extremely helpful. Would our school headteacher attend the local headteachers panel? If not, do you know when our head would likely get the results?
Crackerjax

Post by Crackerjax »

There are too many appeals to be heard personally then discussed etc, it would take up far too much time.

The ht have a deadline to appeal and as far as I know, maybe someone will correct me if I'm wrong, the first the school will hear about it is when the results are in.

Our ht did say last year that she was going to put herself forward for the panel as she was curious how they did things - she appealed 11 kids last year and 8 were lucky.
Silver

Post by Silver »

Thank you so much. Any idea when ht gets results of appeal. They are doing them this week I think?
bellabelly

Post by bellabelly »

Oh, I am so worried about all of this stuff. I just keep trying to read the Y6 teacher's body language / facial expressions - she's the Acting Head and would be the one sorting out HT appeals, as well as being my sons' class teacher... Do you think HT appeals are all being done and dusted this week? If so, why oh why don't we get the results for another couple of weeks?! :roll: :(
Npowell999

Post by Npowell999 »

I think if you have a good head teacher then it's fine. Dd got a very high score with top score in non verbal and one mark off the top score on verbal. However she missed maths by one mark. We had a horrible head who did not down appeal and ruined my appeal by saying dd would only get a level four in her sats.

Dd is now at Bennett and got level sixes and nearly level seven in maths for her sats. She is excelling especially in the sciences and wants to be a doctor. So although grammar is great there is also hope x
eastkentmum

Post by eastkentmum »

The HT prepares a short form, outlining reasons that they feel the pupil would be suitable for a grammar place, includes latest levels of CAT tests etc if helpful, and a character recommendation of the child's suitability. They may submit books or work as evidence (hence text books missing for a few days). My kids' former tutor was on the local appeals panel for years, by coincidence (although he didn't assess mine). They work in small groups of experienced senior teachers. He told me they are thorough but pretty fast. Often, they don't even read the HT forms or open the books - if the kids marks are very close to the pass mark, they just sign it off straight away.
Where there is more doubt or scores are a bit lower, they open the books and sit around talking about them. He said that after years of teaching and assessing, they can usually get a decent feel for the ability of a child from looking thru work books. They look at what levels the child is working at...they look for evidence of (what used to be called) levels 5/6 ability. The HT themselves don't attend on the day, but receive results within a couple of days.
I would add that the kids who passed on HT appeal are of absolutely NO less ability than the ones who passed. They are all able to cope with the work (often better than those from private school 'exam focused' backgrounds, or those who were tutored too much!). Their pass is absolutely as valid as those who 'passed'. Hope this helps.
eastkentmum

Post by eastkentmum »

Meant to add - they are all done and dusted now and HT will know the outcomes. However they are absolutely not allowed to give you any clues. Avoiding you isn't necessarily a bad thing ! It's also not the end of the line. Parent appeals are still allowed in a few months' time.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now