Anyone here got twins?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

shake123

Anyone here got twins?

Post by shake123 »

Academically they've always been neck and neck, so we thought there'd be a good chance of achieving the same result, regardless of pass or fail. But in the last few months one forged ahead and has now told us that 'books have been taken to the office'. So anxious... anyone been in a similar situation? How did you handle it?
Last edited by shake123 on Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinkers

Re: Anyone here got twins?

Post by Tinkers »

There's at least two posters on here I can think of who hopefully will come along and share their similar experience.
shake123

Post by shake123 »

Thanks, Tinkers. Any advice gratefully received.
bellabelly

Post by bellabelly »

Hi Shake123 - I have twin boys. Like yours, mine have always been neck and neck academically. But one started doing better on the practice tests over the summer...

I suppose it's natural to worry about how it will affect everything if one passes and one doesn't. But I'm trying hard not to worry and just to think that we'll cross that bridge if / when we come to it! (I do need to try a bit harder at this! :roll: )

One thing I've tried to do, as a pre-emptive strike, is to "big up" the other local secondaries (and take them to the open evenings) and let them see that it won't be the end of the world if they don't score highly enough for their preferred GS.

Anyway, hope both of yours have aced it!
September2017

Post by September2017 »

Hi,
I have twins, in our case very different abilities. Both took the tests. Obviously feeling very anxious with results coming through soon. Like the previous post, we have been looking at local schools and doing the pros and cons. We are very aware that the reality is that one could be deemed selective and the other not.

My DC more than likely will be split up in year 7, but I do believe it will all work out - they both have to go to the schools which are right for them.. No matter how hard it is for us as parents.

Good luck to your DC.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

I have twin boys, Y10 now. Both neck and neck ability wise but one is a 'rusher' and likely why he didn't make the qualifying mark for the super selective but did make the mark for a different grammar. He ended up getting a scholarship in an indie school. They always knew it was a risk that they wouldn't go to the same school.
One has flourished, the other did at first and is now home ed. I'm just being truthful. I think being separated from his twin didn't help, but you wouldn't have known that for the first 2 years and the challenges we've had might have happened anyway.

I think if you choose for them both to take 11+ then its your duty and your only option, to make them aware they may be separated and to prepare for that. You can't really soften he blow but they absolutely need to be prepared for it. There may be some fallout to deal with but maybe take them out before results and tell them how proud you are of them whatever the results, then don't go throwing celebration meals for the one who got in, sharing on social media etc. All the stuff you probably won't do anyway, but just a reminder. Other people WILL want to be "wow" over the one who gets in if they don't both get in, so minimising the fuss about the one who gets in is a good way to keep the news low key.
shake123

Post by shake123 »

Thanks all!
I've been doing the rounds of ALL the schools - and still have another six to go :o
What's reassuring is that they both seem to like the same comps, so we'll always have that option - I just need to call the local ed admissions people to see if they have a policy of ensuring twins get the same school, as I'm not sure if that's a thing or not.
Slightly worrying: the 'weaker' one has come out of all the tests saying they were 'not too bad' or even 'pretty easy'.... always a worry!!!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I think in non selectives it's common for them to take both twins even if it takes them over the PAN. Selectives are a bit different though.
stardust

Post by stardust »

I don't have twins but 2 boys who are 11 months apart one August born and other one September born therefore both in same year in school!! I have felt sometimes one does better and sometimes the other one so have no idea how they performed on the day. my older one came home last week and said his English book has been taken away and now my mind is playing games with me that has my younger one passed or not!!

I have already faced a challenge of them been apart both boys were selected by their school to go to district trial for football. My youngest did not make which made him very upset and he cried and I cried with him and I am glad he got it out of his system and lot of positive talk and encouragement and he is fine about it now. As a parent now I am worried that if he doesn't pass will that knock his confidence!!
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Hi

I have twin boys neck a neck academically. One passed last year one did not. It's been a **** of a year for us in many ways (search on my name and you'll see why).

One goes to grammar and one comp (though did get offered a gs place a week after comp- but did not want to go). It"s still proving harder than I thought sadly.

There is another poster on here who has twin girls, one passed and the other goes to an inde. She says they are thriving and its been really positive for both girls.

PM me if you like as I can share greater detail
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now