Anyone here got twins?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ToadMum

Re: Anyone here got twins?

Post by ToadMum »

stardust wrote:I don't have twins but 2 boys who are 11 months apart one August born and other one September born therefore both in same year in school!! I have felt sometimes one does better and sometimes the other one so have no idea how they performed on the day. my older one came home last week and said his English book has been taken away and now my mind is playing games with me that has my younger one passed or not!!

I have already faced a challenge of them been apart both boys were selected by their school to go to district trial for football. My youngest did not make which made him very upset and he cried and I cried with him and I am glad he got it out of his system and lot of positive talk and encouragement and he is fine about it now. As a parent now I am worried that if he doesn't pass will that knock his confidence!!
If it helps - remember that the only ones who fail are those who actually tried in the first place :D .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
shake123

Post by shake123 »

Hi Ricky74, I've done a quick search and can see that things have been more than difficult for you. It sounds like an absolute nightmare - and a scenario that I'm dreading.

I wake up at 3am every morning 'rehearsing' my appeal speech (if I'm honest, feeling fairly confident that anyone with twins should stand a good chance of having a strong case, but it seems not). Believe me, we tried everything to dissuade the twins from NOT sitting the tests because it's too much of a gamble - and a risk of someone labelling themselves 'a failure' if one passes and the other doesn't. We've tried discussing it, but they're adamant that if one passes and the other doesn't the one who passes 'shouldn't sacrifice the opportunity'. All of this is easy to say when it's just a concept, of course...
Exams2018

Post by Exams2018 »

stardust wrote:my older one came home last week and said his English book has been taken away and now my mind is playing games with me that has my younger one passed or not!!
!

What's "taking away books"??? Can anyone enlighten me please?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

In some counties, headteachers see the results in advance and have the opportunity to make a case for children who they believe should have "passed" but didn't. The books are taken out of the classroom to use in evidence for this.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

shake123 wrote:Hi Ricky74, I've done a quick search and can see that things have been more than difficult for you. It sounds like an absolute nightmare - and a scenario that I'm dreading.

I wake up at 3am every morning 'rehearsing' my appeal speech (if I'm honest, feeling fairly confident that anyone with twins should stand a good chance of having a strong case, but it seems not). Believe me, we tried everything to dissuade the twins from NOT sitting the tests because it's too much of a gamble - and a risk of someone labelling themselves 'a failure' if one passes and the other doesn't. We've tried discussing it, but they're adamant that if one passes and the other doesn't the one who passes 'shouldn't sacrifice the opportunity'. All of this is easy to say when it's just a concept, of course...
Selectives actually mention twins/multiple in their admission codes in order to say NO preference will be given if one gets in and the other doesn't. I certainly wouldn't base any appeal on that. Different story in non selectives of course
mystery

Post by mystery »

Shouldn't sacrifice the opportunity makes it sound as though the grammar school is better in some way than the other school. Could indeed by the other way round.

Thing I would be most worried about in this situation that the pass/fail scenario between twins or siblings is that it could cause some kind of long-term friction or jealousy between the children themselves.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

shake123 wrote:Hi Ricky74, I've done a quick search and can see that things have been more than difficult for you. It sounds like an absolute nightmare - and a scenario that I'm dreading.

I completely understand. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt (and the sweat patches from waking up at 3am repeatedly).
Our grammar school appeal was based mainly on our son's academic ability, the twins aspect was part of the appeal, but not the theme. If you need it (and I hope you don't) I can happily share with you what we did, although it was unsuccessful. There is no easy answer other than to follow each individual's path wherever it leads. What I will say, is with mine, the twin who did not go to the same gs, was never resentful at not getting in (sad at first, yes, but he was happy for his brother and vice versa) and they are still best of friends.
shake123

Post by shake123 »

That's so lovely to hear, Ricky74 re: your twins's attitude. You should feel proud
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

shake123 wrote:That's so lovely to hear, Ricky74 re: your twins's attitude. You should feel proud

Thanks Shake123. I love the innocent way children are, no agenda, just pure. He certainly put me to shame at times :o
watbogs

Post by watbogs »

Do you happen to know if Kent CC has a policy of placing OOC twins that pass in the same school, especially if they have similar scores?