Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: St Greggs or Bennett
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:57 pm 

Looking likely we need our back up plan so we went round both of these schools. Has anybody got any experience at either. We liked Bennett but didn’t like St Greggs until we met the maths and English teams they stream both subjects and have a grammar stream. Bennett don’t stream past year 8?!

Post subject: Re: St Greggs or Bennett
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:32 pm 

Hi there, it sounds obvious and bit annoying but you can probably only choose by which will suit your child best... I have friends with children that started at Bennett this year who are happy there so far and at St Gregs too but not as many. My son was going to go to Bennett but got grammar place from waiting list. I certainly preferred the atmosphere at Bennett - my daughter went to St Gregs but that was some time ago, however we didn't name it on the CAF even though would definitely have got in...just wasn't for us as a family.
I personally wouldn't get too hung up on the lack of streaming - I just look at it as they're the educationists and presumably must have some good reasons for doing what they're doing! I was in your position last year considering all angles and back up plans and it did all work out ok in the end even though felt like a very very long process! Good luck and fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:44 am 

Both are really good schools with great reputations, outstanding Ofsted etc. Bennett is probably the more sought-after locally, but always very over-subscribed. You're lucky to have both as a plan B - I assume you meet the strict admissions criteria in terms of being regular church goers? What's gone wrong with your plan A, was this a grammar/super selective grammar that you're not now confident your child will get? Good luck regardless :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:42 pm 

Hi my son missed so much out in the eleven plus and struggled through nerves so we’ve written that off.

I like Bennett best but the children are all mixed up and some parents are unhappy that their children who are very capable are sat with children who don’t understand and don’t want to learn. Lots complain that such children take up so much of the teachers tome. Children at GCSE are sat next to children that struggle and told when they finish they can help others.

I can see why they are not streamed when you see the head Mr Bauckham skating the eleven plus in every newspaper and interview going so he is anti streaming and won’t back down.

We didn’t initially like St Greggs and we were just going to go home but the English and maths department seemed so passionate with two grammar streams working on the GCSE curriculum from year 7. They also do practice papers and eliminate weak spots then mentor those areas.

I don’t know I am so confused now although my son liked Bennett. Bennett however had no trips or fun just very serious