Advice requested - passed but OOC and need to change address

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Choco

Re: Advice requested - passed but OOC and need to change add

Post by Choco »

I don't think what you plan will be acceptable unless you can provide written evidence that your current property has either been sold or has been rented out for the long term, so you can't return. Even then, you don't really have any proof of being a long term, rather than temporary resident in the area, so eligible for a place.

If you were to rent in the area, plus had sold or rented out your own property, that would be okay, but what you propose is pretty much the same as someone putting down the name of anyone they know in the area for the deadline date. Even if you are totally genuine, there is no real way for the council to be able to judge if you will immediately move out of catchment or back to another property, becaue there is no written agreement for you being in the Kent property.

I think it would be best to email and ring and keep a careful record of any conversations and ask for everything to be put in an email so you have a record if they say it will be acceptable, or what things need sto be in place for it to be acceptable. You might have to accept that it just won't work, but it's definitely worth asking first. Some people might just chance it, but personally I would have to call the council and get it all clarified, because otherwise I wouldn't sleep easy for the next 6 months.

One query - why haven't you contacted the council about this before? Is it because if they hadn't passed, you might not have moved in with parents? If so, this really is a move of convenience and for school admissions,N which is what they are keen to avoid. To be honest, it might have looked better if you had raised this query before you had the grammar eligible email, because it's after this point that lots of fraudulent activity happens - not saying you are in this group.
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

PaulD wrote:
Sparklecat wrote:
PaulD wrote:it would be risky to buy somewhere without knowing we definitely had a place in one of the schools
It would be much riskier to have the school place withdrawn due to a fraudulent application. If you live in town you will get a place on distance; children travel in from miles away. It's your choice, but I wouldn't risk my child's education.
I will be living in the town, I'm just unsure how I can prove I'm living with my parents in the short term before we get a permanent address likely outside the cutoff point for the caf. I'm not trying to make a fraudulent application and want to know how I can avoid it looking like one.
I'm not saying the application is fraudulent, but that is how it may be perceived by those who police the system. Would you be moving here if the test had not been passed? Evidence of trying to move before results day would work on your favour.
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

Did you move to Maidstone?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Sparklecat wrote:Did you move to Maidstone?
Sparklecat, you are being very optimistic this morning :D. Given, that is, none of the members so keen for advice on finding a grammar school place in / moving to Kent, after whose subsequent moves you are enquiring, have logged in since a few days after their initial posts.

Of course, they may all be regular 'lurkers' and will be popping in imminently to respond :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

I have immense faith in the goodness and generosity of humankind. Nobody expects thanks after offering assistance and advice to total strangers on the internet, but the occasional update would go a long way to helping others in a similar predicament. A little more detail and interaction would like also encourage more willing assistance to others next October.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Sparklecat wrote:I have immense faith in the goodness and generosity of humankind. Nobody expects thanks after offering assistance and advice to total strangers on the internet, but the occasional update would go a long way to helping others in a similar predicament. A little more detail and interaction would like also encourage more willing assistance to others next October.
Indeed it would. I suspect some posters do not share the perspective that to give is to receive. Merry Christmas everybody...
mad?