Advice requested - passed but OOC and need to change address

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
PaulD

Advice requested - passed but OOC and need to change address

Post by PaulD »

Hi

My daughter passed the Kent test and we would like to send her to either MGGS or Invicta but currently live OOC in London. Both of my parents have addresses (and houses big enough for us to live at for the short term) in Maidstone and I'd like to use one of their addresses for the CAF while we look to buy somewhere ourselves in Maidstone before the start of the school year (we might not have time to buy anywhere before 1st March I imagine and it would be risky to buy somewhere without knowing we definitely had a place in one of the schools).

What is the best way to go about this? Do I just need to inform that council that I'm moving in with one of my parents and start paying council tax there? What is the minimum time I actually need to live at the address in the short term? Anyone had any experience of this kind of thing before?

Thanks
Paul
Beaconnewmum

Re: Advice requested - passed but OOC and need to change add

Post by Beaconnewmum »

Do it by the book - don’t use addresses unless you actually live there - it’s not fair on local children.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Found a bit on the Kent website re addresses:
Pupil’s home address
We will accept as a pupil’s home address the residential
property that is the child’s only or main residence, not an
address at which your child may sometimes stay or sleep
due to your own domestic arrangements.
It will be either:
• owned by the child’s parent, parents or guardian; or
• leased to or rented by the child’s parent, parents or
guardian under a lease or written rental agreement of
not less than 12 months’ duration. Where lease/rental
agreements are for less than 12 months, parents should
contact the Secondary Admissions Team for further
assistance by calling 03000 41 21 21 or by emailing
kent.admissions@kent.gov.uk.
Upshot is that most LEA are not keen on people temporarily moving in to the area and TBH staying with parents like that might sound as though that is what you are doing. I think you probably need to speak to admissions about it and see what they say
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I suspect too many people claimed to have ‘lived with relatives’ when they haven’t (therefore making a fraudulent application) and the LA in all likelihood won’t accept it as genuine, even if you are indeed being genuine.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

A friend of mine got divorced and moved in with her parents (in the short term she was unable to stay in her home alone with her children due to costs) for around 2 years, during which time she applied for secondary schools (coincidence that it took her over this time period). This actually put her in the catchment for a good local comprehensive which she could not get her children into from her own address (although the two homes were only around a mile apart). She applied using her parents' address but had paperwork ready to show that she had rented out her own home and was genuinely living with her parents (she was). In the event, she was not asked for proof of address.
Genuine moves are fair enough but there is a lot of gamesmanship about addresses (or potentially at any rate. My best friend lost a friendship when they asked to use her address for primary school admission :shock: ) and you might be best to talk to the council and see what they would accept in terms of proof that this is a genuine move.
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

PaulD wrote:it would be risky to buy somewhere without knowing we definitely had a place in one of the schools
It would be much riskier to have the school place withdrawn due to a fraudulent application. If you live in town you will get a place on distance; children travel in from miles away. It's your choice, but I wouldn't risk my child's education.
PaulD

Post by PaulD »

Sparklecat wrote:
PaulD wrote:it would be risky to buy somewhere without knowing we definitely had a place in one of the schools
It would be much riskier to have the school place withdrawn due to a fraudulent application. If you live in town you will get a place on distance; children travel in from miles away. It's your choice, but I wouldn't risk my child's education.
I will be living in the town, I'm just unsure how I can prove I'm living with my parents in the short term before we get a permanent address likely outside the cutoff point for the caf. I'm not trying to make a fraudulent application and want to know how I can avoid it looking like one.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Congratulations on our DC's success PaulD. Where you will be living is irrelevant, it is where your DC/the family live that is relevant for his/her application.
mad?
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Have you tried contacting the admissions department - the email and phone number are given in a post above. I think any advice we give will be less useful than what they tell you. They must have encountered similar situations before and can tell you what evidence they will be looking for in relation to residency.
PaulD

Post by PaulD »

streathammum wrote:Have you tried contacting the admissions department - the email and phone number are given in a post above. I think any advice we give will be less useful than what they tell you. They must have encountered similar situations before and can tell you what evidence they will be looking for in relation to residency.
Thanks, you are right, I'll give them a call.