Kent test results 2017 and DIY

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bellabelly

Re: Kent test results 2017 and DIY

Post by bellabelly »

I diy-ed with my DTs. Not much, just some cgp 10 minute tests and an online site (they really liked doing it on the computer rather than on paper) called elevenplusswot over the summer. Then in the week before the test, they did a Bond practice test in each subject - mainly so they could practise filling in the answers correctly on the multiple choice answer sheet. The Kent Test has a "familiarisation booklet" which we looked at and I also, very last minute, realised that the GL website has free practice materials in each subject so we had a quick look at those too. (GL set the Kent Test for 2017 - not sure if it'll be the same for next year).

In the lead up to results day, I had a wobble over whether we'd done them a disservice by not paying for tutoring / not doing more with them but they both passed - one scored quite a bit more than the other which reflects how they tended to do on the practice tests.

Their good friend passed the test with a good score and he cheerfully announced this morning that he had done NO practice whatsoever (he's a lovely kid and wasn't bragging - just genuinely surprised at how well he'd done). I take my hat off to him! Other friends have had regular tutoring for ages (and not passed, sadly in some cases). I must say, it's been a bit of an eye opener this year how much of an industry has sprung up around these tests! My advice to any parents is to keep a close eye on how much money you're spending - it'd be possible to spend a fortune!
maybehewill

Post by maybehewill »

We DIYd too. I'm not academic at all but my ds Teacher said he was a bright spark and because he was an even level 8/9 in his SATS. 3 months prep, 20 minutes of either Bond Books or Elevenplusexams books a day 3-5 times a week. We haven't got money for a Tutor. He passed with 383. I would say go for it.
walemeoh

Post by walemeoh »

You are so right and big congrats to you , so glad your kids hard work paid off.
We are very pleased too.
relaxedMum77 wrote:Congratulations! Both my boys never had a tutor. Both just sat a few practice papers at home a couple of weeks before. DS1 (a couple of years ago) got a very comfortable score , DS2 fell short (last year) but got in on appeal . I must say, many high scorers who were tutored soon start falling short once at Grammar... yet the DIY kids seem to find it a breeze!!
walemeoh

Post by walemeoh »

I think every child is different, we used online tools like 11 plus diy, *** Advertising Censored ***, bonds, they werent so expensive.
We started late for my first one, 3 months only and it was stressfull for me as I was working crazy hopurs but good thing is that our kids work at home every day even for 30 mins so it wasnt like we were learning meanings of nouns, proverbs etc hahahahaha. And he was willing , while were at work he studied. Our second son was not like the first , very clever but more push, he is capable so the push was not too much . We did more printed questions from the internet and let him play loads... hmmm glad it is over.

I bought loads of books for creative writing , our first passed St Olaves but we didn't send him ....
we went for another schools due to distance etc and also because we felt lead not to push him too much .

It was loads of work but it was easier because they both like healthy competition and got small rewards without bribing them. Loads of encouragements too. I also bought loads of Comprehension books as first son struggled with that . I used freerice for grammar, puntuation and the dictionary itself for words so we stumbled on new words. As time became shorter we used 'hello google'. Cut up cereals boxes to do our own flashcards... hope this helps someone. It is doable but I will say cultivate the habit of reading else it will be a chore and both parent and child will be stressed and stress is not good...

grgygirl wrote:We had a tutor but it would be enormously helpful to other parents on here if you shared your DIY journey, books used, schedule etc to benefit others.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now