Kent 11plus

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Peter

Re: Kent 11plus

Post by Peter »

I live in the real world. In Kent and Medway which I know well, as I am sure in the rest of the country, Independent Appeal Panels, bought in by the schools, pay considerable attention to the 'school case' and year on year reflect individual school needs. So, criteria vary considerably, and indeed some years ago I lost an Ombudsman case arguing there should be a set standard for defining grammar school ability for schools on appeal. Today it would be laughed out of court, as the variation is so immense.

This massive variation of standard applies both to Appeal Panels provided by KCC for schools, and those bought in from Commercial firms.

Four examples from the 2017 appeal outcomes, all KCC Panels: Dartford Grammar - 3 appeals upheld out of 116, 3%, this is at the lower end of its maximum of 8; Dartford Grammar Girls - 0 appeals upheld out of 93, 0%, this is definitely at the lower end of a range falling steadily from eight to zero over the past four years: Invicta Grammar 58 appeals upheld out of 65, all girls who did not pass the Kent Test, 89%; Simon Langton Grammar School for Girls 36 out of 44 upheld, all girls who did not pass the Kent Test, 82%, including quite a number with lower scores than the enquirer. Panellists for these four panels have been randomly allocated by KCC from a large pool and it is likely that some will have served on more than one of these panels, applying very different criteria for success. I certainly would not rule out a successful appeal at a number of grammar schools if the supporting evidence is good.

Then there are the out of county appeals for children who have passed the Kent Test. Somehow, by a process of osmosis, many appeal outcomes reflect the schools philosophy of how it views such applications!

There are plenty more examples if you wish to seek them out.

Get real
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

Apparently 10 maths questions correct out of 25 was a pass, not a high threshold. It is strange to think the appeal system might give a place to a child who got less than a third of questions correct, and will be in the same class as a child who got 80% or more right.
Helendee

Post by Helendee »

My daughter failed the 11+ plus by 4 points on her English. On the day she was really full of cold and over the week before we were keeping the school updated on her progress. English is also her strong subject so we were miffed. We have letters showing she was ill. Is it worth chasing a place at weald. Her other score were really good. Also on calling the council she got 14 questions right. And answered them all. Does anyone know how many questions there was ?
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

Usually 25, although some were saying 26 this year.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 19&t=52403" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

English usually requires a higher percentage of correct answers for a pass than maths or reasoning (no idea why). It looks like one more correct answer would have been a pass for your daughter.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now