11 Plus Exams Forum
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/11plus/

Kent 11plus
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/11plus/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=52253
Page 1 of 2

Author:  OladeleOmisore [ Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Kent 11plus

Hi,
Just received my daughter's result today. Maths: 114; Reasoning:108; English:98; Total: 320. Didn't get a place because of not scoring at least 106 in English. Any chance of appealing and what are my chances.

Dele.

Author:  Sparklecat [ Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Kent 11plus

Which school are you interested in? That will significantly affect the likelihood of success.

Author:  hermanmunster [ Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Kent 11plus

Hi

You will need to put GS on the CAF and then appeal for a place after allocation day in March.


https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general

Author:  moulie18 [ Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Kent 11plus

OladeleOmisore wrote:
Hi,
Just received my daughter's result today. Maths: 114; Reasoning:108; English:98; Total: 320. Didn't get a place because of not scoring at least 106 in English. Any chance of appealing and what are my chances.

Dele.


regrettingly, 98 is a bit too low for your child to be considered...

Sorry about it.

Author:  OladeleOmisore [ Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Kent 11plus

Thanks for the useful advice will be going for the appeal

Author:  twellsmum [ Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Kent 11plus

I would say 98 is too low (eight under pass mark) for successful appeals especially as the other marks are not particularly high. However, it does depend on which school you are going for and also if you have any good reasons why the mark was so low. There is a lot of advice in the appeal section and also for Kent we are very lucky to have a man running a fantastically helpful website and giving specific Kent education advice. We are not allowed to name it on here but a google search using the last three words of my previous sentence should help you find it. Good luck for whatever you decide to do. I appealed successfully for both my sons (both just under pass marks) but it is a stressful procedure.

Author:  Sparklecat [ Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Kent 11plus

Which grammar did you apply for?

Author:  Peter [ Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Kent 11plus

Unfortunately, with no indication of the schools you are looking at, or your home town, it would be very unwise to give an answer to such a question. The 33 Kent grammar schools have a very wide range of entrance expectations on appeal, and many of the attempts to help on this forum don't appear to take this into account where the information is not forthcoming .

Author:  ToadMum [ Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Kent 11plus

Peter wrote:
Unfortunately, with no indication of the schools you are looking at, or your home town, it would be very unwise to give an answer to such a question. The 33 Kent grammar schools have a very wide range of entrance expectations on appeal, and many of the attempts to help on this forum don't appear to take this into account where the information is not forthcoming .


Once the appeals process is involved, the decision is the province of the Independent Appeals Panel in each case, not the school concerned. Or does Kent have some kind of dispensation not to be governed by the same law as the rest of the country?

Author:  PettswoodFiona [ Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Kent 11plus

ToadMum wrote:
Peter wrote:
Unfortunately, with no indication of the schools you are looking at, or your home town, it would be very unwise to give an answer to such a question. The 33 Kent grammar schools have a very wide range of entrance expectations on appeal, and many of the attempts to help on this forum don't appear to take this into account where the information is not forthcoming .


Once the appeals process is involved, the decision is the province of the Independent Appeals Panel in each case, not the school concerned. Or does Kent have some kind of dispensation not to be governed by the same law as the rest of the country?


TM my take is that Peter was referring to the fact that some Kent Grammars go by score, some by parish and pass, some are more popular/oversubscribed than others. Thus depending on the Kent grammar that is being targeted there is more or less likelihood of getting in on appeal than others. Trying to get into one of the ones that has a requirement for a higher score where they are competing with people who actually passed the Kent test but didn't get a high enough score does make a difference. Peter is a very very knowledgeable member of the community and does a lot of appeal work for Kent schools so I believe he knows his stuff.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/