Kent OR Bexley

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

merochori

Kent OR Bexley

Post by merochori »

DD has done very well both in Bexley (top 180) and Kent (above 400).
We live in west Kent, both Bexley and Dartford schools are in the close distance 1-2 miles. We are so overwhelmed by the options available. We also have a son in year 1, Co-Ed for future possible siblings option.
Your views on preferring the school please.
Sparklecat

Re: Kent OR Bexley

Post by Sparklecat »

A grammar is a grammar is a grammar.

I would choose the easiest to travel to every day, if my child liked it.
gravesendgal

Post by gravesendgal »

I’d recommend going to see all options and make a decision based on what feels right for your daughter
FortyNinePence

Post by FortyNinePence »

You must visit them with your child.

Then if you still can't decide, consider what is important to you. Eg travel, locality for friends, results, OFSTED, extra curricular clubs, sporting teams and facilities, music facilities and orchestras, curriculum offering.

Then rank each according to how important each is to you both. Then score each school according to how well they meet the criteria.
salsa

Post by salsa »

merochori wrote:DD has done very well both in Bexley (top 180) and Kent (above 400).
We live in west Kent, both Bexley and Dartford schools are in the close distance 1-2 miles. We are so overwhelmed by the options available. We also have a son in year 1, Co-Ed for future possible siblings option.
Your views on preferring the school please.
It is a difficult one. I was very inclined to go for a school with a sibling policy, but my husband persuaded me to go for the best school (that we thought) for our eldest. It has worked out in the end, but it did put us at great pressure with the younger one as he just wants to do anything his big brother does. Going to the same school meant a lot to him and we only found out how much on allocation day! He told us about all his dreams and how every time my eldest did something at school which was interesting, he would daydream that one day, he too, would be doing the same, only to be awoken by the realisation that he had the test to get through first.

Both Bexley and Dartford Girls are great schools, however, one does the IB and the other A levels. The thing you'll have to consider is that you don't know, for certain, if your younger child will pass. What if he didn't and you have sent your daughter to a school which was not as suitable? If you live within 1-2 miles of Bexley, your son would only need a pass Bexley as he would be within catchment.

On the practical side, it is much easier to have both children at the same school.

Well done to your daughter!

Salsa
merochori

Post by merochori »

Thank you every one.