Skinners' Grammar - Can this be right?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Choco

Re: Skinners' Grammar - Can this be right?

Post by Choco »

And we are interested in current Yr12 students who have all of their GCSE results - the ones who appear in the League tables for 2017 GCSE.
It is those who have a mixture of A* and 9s.

In future, all schools will only put in for numbered exams because that is all that's available. The issue of getting an A* not a number due to early sitting could only ever have been a very short lived phenomonen whilst the 2 systems ran together.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The statement in the booklet applies to GCSEs too - anyway could you answer my question please?
Choco

Post by Choco »

No, because as I said, the current Yr 11 have not sat early. It was the current Yr12 who were a mixture of early (Yr 10) and standard (Yr11) sitting at these schools.
We have been talking about Skinners Yr12 students who sat GCSEs in 2017 and who appeared in the recently released results.
Would you like me to name some schools who did this?
I cannot name schools who have just had their Yr 10 students sit early, but this isn't what I thought we were talking about - the original poster was referring g to League tables which relate to current Yr 12 students.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Pardon? I was talking about Year 12 all along ... do you have a child affected by this?

Yes please name some Private schools that have students in Year 12 in exactly the same position ie took Maths GCSE early.
Choco

Post by Choco »

Okay - I'm confused by your posts - you specifically asked for names of private schools who sat students for maths in Yr 10 THIS YEAR.

I can get you some names for Yr 11 this year (who sat some in Yr 10 and most in Yr 11)will be later though, as popping out now.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The issue for these Year 12s is schools were told not to early entry - so it's current Year 12s that I'm interested in. These studnets won't have a numbered grade for their GCSE.
Choco

Post by Choco »

And they won't have a numbered grade for any of their other subjects either - only English. The rest don't change until the 2018 sitting.
So having Maths with an A* will fit fine with all their other grades and not look particularly odd. It's not like it's happening (or is even able to happen) once all the subjects have moved to numbers.

Perhaps all the schools which did this did ignore what they were told. On one hand it was probably because they thought they could have a last shot at a specification they were familiar with and had proven success with, including early entry candidates. And this will be how they will have sold it to parents - that they had previous success with early entry candidates, that the schools as familiar with the specification, that students would be able to further their study of maths in YR 11 and that it would give time for other GCSEs. I don't think it will have been hard to sell to parents of able mathematicians. And I think the parents will have trusted the independent schools and Skinners in their advice and it will turn out that their children are not in any way disadvantaged by what happened and that those who did it early will get the same offers as candidates who sat maths a year later. As I said, a few more may have received 7s not A* if taking later, simply due to the schools lesser experience in the new materials. If that had happened, not taking it earlier might have been the disadvantaging factor.

And as to who sat Yr10 candidates early (and again I emphasise I am not talking about 2017) , my rough list of this (and it is rough based on a very quick look, rather than hours of trawling for very definite info - sorry, but you will have to do that if you want that level of detail) includes the Trinity Schools (the HMC schools in S.London and Surrey, which includes places like Whitgift, Caterham,Reigate Grammar, Hampton) schools like Eton, Tonbridge, SevenOaks, Alleyns, Dulwich, St Pauls......from what I can see, it's actually a majority, not a minority. I think you'd also find there were other Grammars who did it too and not just Skinners.

Anyway, in the end, the thing that matters is that these high achieving kids get their Uni offers. I think we will find that in 2017 the Unis don't reject those who have a great set of GCSEs, along with all the other stuff needed for a top offer, most of which will be expressed as letter grades, not numbers, if their GCSE result is an A* rather than a number. SKinners students will continue to get great offers.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Some of those Private schools do iGCSE not GCSE ... Eton and Whitgift don't take it early - I'm yet to check the others.

It is a massive issues not to have numbered grades for Maths and English GCSE this year.