Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:42 am 

Well, it has all been a bit of an emotional rollercoaster, but DS has managed to get a great score so now we have more options to consider than previously thought. Advice would be much appreciated. Do we stick to our original plan of Cranbrook - or do we look at more superselective schools? I am interested in anyone who does the commute from Cranbrook area to Judds. How does your child find it? Pluses and minuses. Do they go by train/ bus etc

Am aware that Cranbrook is going through a transition period and according to latest GCSE table not doing as well as in the past, but wonder if this is teething problems and also whether a short commute with local peer group might be better in the long run.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:54 am 

Can't say anything about Cranbrook due to a lack of knowledge, other than any grammar school is going to be an excellent option, regardless of occasional statistical blips. I do have knowledge of being the only child in my area to go to a different school to everyone else, and it undoubtedly affected me socially. Also, Arriva bus services are not the most reliable way of getting round, so anything that reduces daily journey times and hassles has to be a good thing. Given a choice, I would stay as local as possible.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:01 pm 

Kentschooladventures wrote:
Well, it has all been a bit of an emotional rollercoaster, but DS has managed to get a great score so now we have more options to consider than previously thought. Advice would be much appreciated. Do we stick to our original plan of Cranbrook - or do we look at more superselective schools? I am interested in anyone who does the commute from Cranbrook area to Judds. How does your child find it? Pluses and minuses. Do they go by train/ bus etc

Am aware that Cranbrook is going through a transition period and according to latest GCSE table not doing as well as in the past, but wonder if this is teething problems and also whether a short commute with local peer group might be better in the long run.

Yes, Cranbrook has certainly suffered in recent years and you'll hear plenty of mixed views about it, that's for sure! Surprisingly poor position on the league tables, but that shouldn't dissuade you. It's worth considering that at Y7 there will still only be a very small intake (60 for 2018 I believe?) which comes with several disadvantages IMHO. There are a few children who commute to Judd via the train from Staplehurst or Marden in your area which is a super-easy journey with a 5-minute walk the other end. I'd avoid bus journeys like the plague to Tonbridge or T Wells if Skinners' was also on your list! Overcrowded, slow and just a horrible experience all round..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:32 pm 

If you are local to Cranbrook, you are probably just out of Inner Catchment for Judd - think outer catchment needed a score of 400+ for Sept 2017 entry. Have you been to look at any of other schools? I think now the results are out, some of them are having open days etc. Is there any particular reason your DS might prefer a school further away? My DSs haven't scored highly enough to even consider Judd but both of them have been adamant that they want to go to a mixed sex school rather than all boys (which slightly surprised me, I must admit).