Eligibility Score - 354; Seeking Kent grammar Admission

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
The Lamp Post

Re: Eligibility Score - 354; Seeking Kent grammar Admission

Post by The Lamp Post »

There are loads of good schools in Reading, 6 of which are grammar. They really should tighten the rules
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

The Lamp Post wrote:There are loads of good schools in Reading, 6 of which are grammar. They really should tighten the rules
Actually there are only two GS in Reading, Reading school and kendrick, one boys and one girls.

I suspect you are thinking of the 4 Slough GSs.
Angelkitten72

Post by Angelkitten72 »

SashaK wrote:So where will your daughter go to school during Year 6? And where will you work etc it is a big move to move house just for a school.
Unfortunately for each person who re-locates a local family lose the chance of sending their child to a grammar school. I am very worried that my daughter won't get a place due to people moving into the catchment area.
I completely agree with this sentiment! My daughter was not initially offered a place at Twggs three years ago despite living 1.8 miles from the school for 10 years. Fortunately she was offered a place a couple of weeks after the 2nd round, but it was a very stressful two months and it did make me cross when I had read about people moving into the area briefly to get a place at the school. To be fair, the school are very hot on checking out whether people are genuine and do make checks on people of whom they are suspicious, and rightly so if it means genuine families are missing out. Fortunately this year my younger daughter will get a place on the sibling rule, but I am still cross on the behalf of other families from Tunbridge Wells who will miss out!!
SashaK

Post by SashaK »

Thanks Angelkitten - for us it is a huge risk. My husband has never lived more than 2.5 miles from the grammar school we are interested in (apart from when he was at University) and I have lived a similar distance away for the last 20 years. Unfortunately it will be our daughter who suffers when other people jump the queue. I understand that everyone wants the best for their children but I would never dream of moving house just to get a school place. Or should I be?