Wilmington boys grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Traptitiwari01

Re: Wilmington boys grammar

Post by Traptitiwari01 »

hi Lefol, yes Gravesend boys is better choice but we are not in catchment area, just outside gravesham. Though Longfield is one of parish, Gravesend grammar gives priority but as this year more gravesham boys passed 11plus exam so I am nervous that my son wont get space there. Hence, looking for other options too. Advice please...

---

lefol wrote:The parishes take priority and as such you have a good chance if you live in Longfield. Is Gravesend not closer to Longfield? I do know there is a coach Service that runs to
And from Longfield so you should be fine with transport .The Admissions officer Mrs Owen is very helpful and would suggest you give her a ring if you have any queries.
lefol

Post by lefol »

Hi Traptitiwari01,

The published admission criteria for 2018 is on the Gravesend Grammar website . I had a look again earlier and criteria 7 states;

7. Eligible boys who live within the civil parishes of Ash cum Ridley, Bean, Fawkham, Hartley, Longfield, New Barn, Southfleet, Stansted and Swanscombe and Greenhithe (Galley Hill and Swanscombe wards).
8. All other eligible boys.

Your ds should get in under criteria 7 which gives a preference to boys living within a number of parishes which includes Lingfield where you live .

My da got in under criteria 8 which deals with all other eligible boys if there are still places to be allocated . Depending on what your da scored in the test you may wish to list this Grammar schools local to you including Wilmington, Dartford, Gravesend and any Medway schools if he also took the Medway test . I know Holcombe Grammar in Chatham take boys who have passed the Kent test but did not take the Medway test . Good luck .
memphis

Post by memphis »

Happydayz wrote:Does anyone know if all the boys from the named parishes were accepted last year? If my understanding is correct then the school cannot accept any ooc applicants before boys from the parishes?

Thanks
All the boys from the named parishes were offered places at WGSB for the past 2 years, following the introduction of changes in their admissions policy where they gave priority to local children.

The following is the breakdown of offers by admission criteria on national allocation day and appeals data for 2016:

Places offered in accordance to WGSB criteria:
PAN: 150
Number of applications received: 727
  • Children in Local Authority Care or Children with a Statement: 0
  • Applicants with a brother who is a student at the School at the time of entry: 12
  • Applicants with a sister who is a student at WGGS at te time of entry: 10
  • Top 10% of 11+ results: 15 (The range of scores is: 370 - 392)
  • No of applicants living within the Parish Boundaries listed: 105
  • The no of applicants who lives nearest to the school whose distance is measured in a straight line as specified by Ordnance Survey: 8
    • Total number of pupils offered a place: 150
    • Distance of last child offered a place: 2.53 miles
Appeals:
Sept 2016 entry: 114 cases heard, 6 upheld. Success rate: 5%
Sept 2017 entry: 86 cases heard, 6 upheld. Success rate: 7%

Bear in mind the figures above are for the first round allocation, and these may well change for the 2nd round allocation. Not all children accept their first round offers for various reasons.
Happydayz

Post by Happydayz »

memphis wrote:
Happydayz wrote:Does anyone know if all the boys from the named parishes were accepted last year? If my understanding is correct then the school cannot accept any ooc applicants before boys from the parishes?

Thanks
All the boys from the named parishes were offered places at WGSB for the past 2 years, following the introduction of changes in their admissions policy where they gave priority to local children.

The following is the breakdown of offers by admission criteria on national allocation day and appeals data for 2016:

Places offered in accordance to WGSB criteria:
PAN: 150
Number of applications received: 727
  • Children in Local Authority Care or Children with a Statement: 0
  • Applicants with a brother who is a student at the School at the time of entry: 12
  • Applicants with a sister who is a student at WGGS at te time of entry: 10
  • Top 10% of 11+ results: 15 (The range of scores is: 370 - 392)
  • No of applicants living within the Parish Boundaries listed: 105
  • The no of applicants who lives nearest to the school whose distance is measured in a straight line as specified by Ordnance Survey: 8
    • Total number of pupils offered a place: 150
    • Distance of last child offered a place: 2.53 miles
Appeals:
Sept 2016 entry: 114 cases heard, 6 upheld. Success rate: 5%
Sept 2017 entry: 86 cases heard, 6 upheld. Success rate: 7%

Bear in mind the figures above are for the first round allocation, and these may well change for the 2nd round allocation. Not all children accept their first round offers for various reasons.
Memphis

Thank you so much for your reply. Our son has his heart set on going to WGBS with a number of his friends. We live in an eligible parish (Ash cum Ridley) but it is one of the furthest away from the school. After all of his hard work we would be so upset if the PAN was met before it reached our home address.

From the figures above it seems that there was only 8 spaces left after all the local boys were offered a space. I guess that does not give us much wiggle room if there is a higher number of local boys applying this year. I suppose we will have to keep everything crossed for the next few months!
Traptitiwari01

Post by Traptitiwari01 »

This is it!!! We also have same worry. We live in Longfield, one of allowable parish, 5.5 miles away from school.
We went to WGSB open evening yesterday. The amount of crowd school managed to collect was impressive, easily around 200 parents visited in one evening. Please mind that there are more such events are planned.
Admission officer said last year distance cut off was 4.03 miles. So oh ah!!!! Everything crossed till D day(1st March)
amfnc

Post by amfnc »

Traptitiwari01 wrote:This is it!!! We also have same worry. We live in Longfield, one of allowable parish, 5.5 miles away from school.
We went to WGSB open evening yesterday. The amount of crowd school managed to collect was impressive, easily around 200 parents visited in one evening. Please mind that there are more such events are planned.
Admission officer said last year distance cut off was 4.03 miles. So oh ah!!!! Everything crossed till D day(1st March)
My DS was helping out last night, he said it was so busy, I think there were many many more than 200 though, the main hall was standing room only for both HM talks. He was shattered by time he got home!

It definitely went out further last year and all boys in parishes got a place there, I really think that you'll be fine. It's a lovely school by the way.
Happydayz

Post by Happydayz »

amfnc wrote:
Traptitiwari01 wrote:This is it!!! We also have same worry. We live in Longfield, one of allowable parish, 5.5 miles away from school.
My DS was helping out last night, he said it was so busy, I think there were many many more than 200 though, the main hall was standing room only for both HM talks. He was shattered by time he got home!

It definitely went out further last year and all boys in parishes got a place there, I really think that you'll be fine. It's a lovely school by the way.

I assume that if all boys from the parishes were succesful last year then the 4.3 distance mentioned refers to ooc boys? I imagine that tgere would have been a lot of applicants from areas like Bexley or Greenwich etc.
amfnc

Post by amfnc »

Happydayz wrote:
amfnc wrote:

I assume that if all boys from the parishes were succesful last year then the 4.3 distance mentioned refers to ooc boys? I imagine that tgere would have been a lot of applicants from areas like Bexley or Greenwich etc.
Yes the 4.03 would have been for OOC applicants, although I don't think it reached as far as Greenwich, I don't think all in Bexley got a place.
memphis

Post by memphis »

You have nothing to worry about. The distance cut off went out further for 2017 intake, at 4.03 miles compared to 2.53 miles in 2016 and both criteria applies to ooc children. The number of appeals submitted also dropped accordingly, from 114 to 86, presumably these are ooc and/or those who missed the 11+ pass mark, or don't meet any of the school's admission criteria.
Juneboy

Post by Juneboy »

Does anyone know how they measure? Is there a particular website? I know it's "as the crow flies" but are all the calculators online for this accurate?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now