Passed but may appeal for a super selective

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
inthemedia

Passed but may appeal for a super selective

Post by inthemedia »

Hello all

I have been reading here for the past year and now need your advice post results! My son passed the 11+ - we're in catchment for Skinners, TWGSB and Judd. His scores are as follows:-

English 107 ( :shock: :shock: )
Maths 110
Reasoning 133

Total 350

We expected a low score on English but were shocked at his very low maths mark as he'd been posting 70% in controlled mocks and has been deemed as exceeding in maths at school. We're pretty safe for TWGSB but my son really wants Judd and also liked Skinners. The hard evidence for admission from Judd says last year they admitted 359 as its lowest score on the 2nd round. 2018's intake will have 1 or 2 new bulge classes so maybe the mark will drop? My friend got her son in last year on 358 by going on the waiting list - not at appeal. I have heard anecdotally they have taken at 352. What would you do next?

I'm aware we'll have no idea of the pass mark for Judd until March. I *think* if we put Judd 1st on our form it would not jeopardise a place at TWGSB. Is that correct? Would you stick Skinners in 2nd as he liked that too, hoping their admissions mark will be low? We could potentially appeal for Judd/Skinners and do our best convincing but am I right to think his 107 result would work against or hope the fact he has passed already put us ahead of appeals from those who haven't passed at all? We are in the inner catchment for Judd. My son is very passionate about history, science and geography (not tested in the 11+) plus he's a very good all round sportsman - cricket etc.

I can't seem to find any topics about appeals among families who have passed but who want a better grammar.

Also curious about the amount of passes in Kent this year - at our small single entry primary 14 took it and 10 passed - I think the top score among the kids was 393. We had a few fails by a couple of marks - overall score was good but they missed out on one paper. Would love to know what happened elsewhere.

Thanks in advance.
kenyancowgirl

Re: Passed but may appeal for a super selective

Post by kenyancowgirl »

To appeal, you have to have applied and been rejected by a school/schools so you would have to list the schools on your CAF to be rejected to launch the appeal. List them in your true preference order (the school you really really want first, the one you really want second and so on) and if you do not meet the criteria for the first choice, they will look at your second choice as if it is your first and see if you meet that and so on until they reach a school on your list that you do meet the criteria for. Then you will be offered a place there and can launch an appeal for any school you listed higher on your CAF. Make sure there is at least one school on your CAF where you are guaranteed a place (eg your local catchment comprehensive).
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

The English results do seem to have scuppered a few hopes of Judd this year. I would appeal, you have nothing to lose but big up TWGSB to your son as it is likely he will be going there and it is still a very good school. If you are in TW, I don't think the bonus of a short journey to school can be underestimated either.
FortyNinePence

Post by FortyNinePence »

I think you may have an uphill struggle unless you have very strong evidence of exceptional English performance. I would imagine the 352 you've heard about would have to have very strong alternative academic evidence and or compelling extenuating circumstances. Most of the successful appeals I have heard about are OOC with scores 395+.

I know of an appeal with a good case with strong academic evidence last year, one point below the cut off which wasn't successful.

But having said all of that, you've got to be in it to win it. In your situation, I'd list the schools on your CAF and see what progress your son makes between now and March.
inthemedia

Post by inthemedia »

I also think we'll struggle but I think I'd kick myself if we didn't put Judd/Skinners on the form - especially if we discover in March the admissions mark has dropped. I'm not bothered about him going to TWGSB - we're going back on Thursday for another tour and I think he'll thrive - the visit may enthuse him and he liked it the first time round too. I'm a little narked that he underperformed on maths massively and it probably cost him an automatic place at Judd.

It's my son who would like me to push for a super selective but I don't want it to be at the detriment of a place at TWGSB. We're really hyping up TWGSB and will consult with parents with boys already there for lots of positive stories. I appreciate we're lucky to get a pass when many didn't. It also seems it was the English paper that cost a few boys a pass at our school - one parent says her child got 99 in English but in the past it was his strongest paper (he was tutored too).
Suzanne

Post by Suzanne »

Hi there

Just wanted to know which is the super selective boy school in Kent.

Thanks
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

Judd and Skinners are super selective. St Olaves is too although it has its own test
Suzanne

Post by Suzanne »

What is the cut off for judd and skinners please for in catchment and out of catchment.

Thanks
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

Suzanne - no one will know that until March. It will depend on how many boys apply and with what rankings ( scores). If you ring KCC / the schools ( or perhaps look at their websites) you should be able to find out what the cut offs were in earlier years on 1 March and then off the waiting lists. These historical cut offs will act as a guide and aren't conclusive though. Scores have come down in recent years as more Year 7 classes have been added at both Judd and Skinners and further at Judd for in catchment children ( as there are now only I think 20 places for out of catchment children who have to score very highly).

You can also make an educated guess at initial cut offs by analysing the anonymised data that is now made available by KCC about the scores of children who sat the 11 + this year. I think you will find the spread sheet on the KCC website.
Oblique

Post by Oblique »

A few years ago, the son of a friend missed the cut off by 1 mark. His parents chose not to appeal, only to find later in the year that the school added a bulge class and other boys who had just missed the pass mark were offered a place through appeal. Mother is still complaining of the injustice! :roll:

Since your son passed, this story doesn't quite apply to you but the moral still stands, list the schools in your true order of preference. You won't know how low the offer score will be until March. As others have said, you won't miss out on a place at TWGSB if you put it 3rd to Judd and Skinners (but they can't offer you a place) as this will become your '1st' choice.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now