Total 351
Sparklecat

Re: 2017 Kent Test Raw Scores / Standardised Scores

Post by Sparklecat »

So. Very roughly. In 2016, the following number of correct answers was a pass:

English 60%, Maths 50%, Reasoning 55%.

In 2017 that has changed to approximately (and not adjusting for age):

English 56%, Maths 40%, Reasoning 43%.

Most surprising is the low threshold for Maths. I'm guessing all the papers got harder; my daughter complained there were five very tough maths questions.

Unless the format changes, we found the GL practice papers to be a very good predictor of exam outcome, to within one mark. Think I would still be wanting to get 70% at home to be confident of success. Glad we identified English as a weakness and bought the CGP ten minute comprehensions.

Good luck to everyone in 2018.
turnip08

Post by turnip08 »

Very interesting. It seems, at least looking at higher scorers in maths, that standardisation made little difference:
10y0m - 21/133
10y10m - 22/133
10y5m - 23/138
10y9m - 23/137

I had the following answer from Kent about it:
There is a limit to the detail I can give, because we have an agreement with our test provider (a company which also carries out the national standardisation which is applied to Kent pupils’ results) that we will not share information which is regarded as commercially sensitive, and this extends to the standardisation process. If “ball park” information will help, though, the standardised score for each birth month puts the raw score in context with the performance of children the same age. If – as is often the case – older children slightly outperform younger ones when the test is trialled, the standardisation will reflect that, in that a slightly lower number of correct answers will yield a slightly higher standardised score for a younger child. The less the effect in trialling, the less the adjustment. The effect of standardisation is generally that a child at the August end of the range will get a slightly higher standardised score than a child at the September end, even if they got the same number of right answers. Usually the greatest range across the yeargroup in an 11+ paper is 6 points, but with the tests we are using at present it is typically less than that.
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

Worth keeping this discussion near the top for those wanting previous pass thresholds.
The Lamp Post

Post by The Lamp Post »

Do you think that the GL papers are a good reflection of the 2017 test, especially if the maths has got harder.
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

The Lamp Post wrote:Do you think that the GL papers are a good reflection of the 2017 test, especially if the maths has got harder.
Hard to say; I didn't interrogate my daughter too much after the test. If the test was too hard, meaning low scores passed, they might want to redress that the next year. As I mentioned, there were five hard questions pushing at the boundaries of the school curriculum, to differentiate the top band. Assuming five easy warm up questions, it is the middle fifteen questions that will determine who passed. The GL papers and free online familiarisation papers will be a very good guide.

https://www.gl-assessment.co.uk/product ... ce-papers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mystery

Post by mystery »

Has the percentage required to pass the maths dropped much since 2016? If so, I'd say that it's not so likely that GL tried to provide a harder paper but that they just got it a bit wrong or that by September 2017, the maths standards of the top 25% in Kent is in general lower due to the introduction of the new national curriculum.

I don't think that KCC and GL have ever actually read the new national curriculum maths document in detail, nor thought about what Kent schools do and don't mostly likely teach in year 5 to all / some year 5s.

However, raw score to pass in the maths of 40% seems better to me than 60% in English. That suggests the English was a bit easy.

Still think that the 8 GL papers in each subject are going to be the closest practice you can get to the real thing.
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

I always considered English the hardest paper and most likely to trip up kids. We all teach them
sums from an early age. But spelling, comprehension and writing, not so much. If five maths questions are easy, they only need five middling questions for a pass. It seems crazy you can pass with just ten questions out of 25.
mystery

Post by mystery »

It has, mathematically, to be the same percentage of children (but not the same children) that pass each Kent paper so there can't be one subject paper that is more likely to trip up Kent candidates than another subject. That's a logical flaw that gets overlooked in many forum and school parent discussions each year.

And it isn't good practice in this test where the English, maths and reasoning each invidually has to be passed as well as a combined minimum score to be achieved, to have widely fluctuating differences in the percentage of questions which are needed to pass it i.e. widely fluctuating "difficulty" levels between the 3 Kent papers.

It could be that at a particular school one paper is more likely to trip them up than another e.g. if none of them have been taught any year 6 maths in year 5. The paper is not "sums", fortunately. Each question does require quite a bit of mathematical thinking in a short time. But we can't say that, in general, an English paper is more likely to trip up Kent candidates than a maths paper.

But any paper that doesn't have many quesitons on it (like the English and the maths as it has to allow for reading time and for calculation time whereas reasoning questions are faster) and ends up with a high raw score to pass (because it's too easy) is not such an accurate discriminator - . Let's say that you end up needing to get 60% right (15/25) to pass the English (it was higher than this in the first year of the new test I think) and the pass standardised score for each paper is between 106 and 140. Then, on the English 10 questions would sort of equate to 34 standardised points. Whereas, if only 10/25 was needed to pass the maths, 15 questions would sort of equate to 34 standardised points.