2017 Kent Test Raw Scores / Standardised Scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sparklecat

Re: 2017 Kent Test Raw Scores / Standardised Scores

Post by Sparklecat »

I'm referring, of course, to my bias of having a child who is stronger at maths. It's not so much that English was very hard, as inexperience of doing comprehensions under exam conditions. She learned to read the text twice and refer back before answering questions. Or in practical terms, don't finish the paper in half the time and assume you've done a great job.
Fremloch

Post by Fremloch »

I am quite confused! my daughter sat the Kent test yesterday, and we were of the understanding that a pupil needed to be aiming for approx. 75% in each of the 3 papers, yet looking at the quoted post, going from last year's pass mark, its so much less?? Is it really the case, as I have been thinking differently all along !!

thanks

Sparklecat wrote:So. Very roughly. In 2016, the following number of correct answers was a pass:

English 60%, Maths 50%, Reasoning 55%.

In 2017 that has changed to approximately (and not adjusting for age):

English 56%, Maths 40%, Reasoning 43%.

Most surprising is the low threshold for Maths. I'm guessing all the papers got harder; my daughter complained there were five very tough maths questions.

Unless the format changes, we found the GL practice papers to be a very good predictor of exam outcome, to within one mark. Think I would still be wanting to get 70% at home to be confident of success. Glad we identified English as a weakness and bought the CGP ten minute comprehensions.

Good luck to everyone in 2018.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Fremloch wrote:I am quite confused! my daughter sat the Kent test yesterday, and we were of the understanding that a pupil needed to be aiming for approx. 75% in each of the 3 papers, yet looking at the quoted post, going from last year's pass mark, its so much less?? Is it really the case, as I have been thinking differently all along !!

thanks
The raw scores which translate into the standardised scores will depend on the cohort sitting that exam. So if the exam was 'difficult' generally, in the experience of that cohort, the mean raw score - which becomes the standardised score of 100 - will be lower, as will the mean raw score represented by the 'pass' standardised score. On the other hand in an exam where most candidates get most questions right, the mean raw score will be higher, as will the mean raw score which is represented by the 'pass' standardised score.

(Btw I am deliberately ignoring the role of the standard deviation in calculating the standardised score).

In an 'opt in' system where only those one would expect to do well are entered, the mean raw score will usually be higher than in a system where the entire year 6 cohort takes the test anyway, unless an individual is withdrawn (or in a sort of hybrid system like Kent, where the number of grammar school places available overall assumes that a wider ability range than just the 'best of the top table' will be entered).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

Fremloch wrote:I am quite confused! my daughter sat the Kent test yesterday, and we were of the understanding that a pupil needed to be aiming for approx. 75% in each of the 3 papers, yet looking at the quoted post, going from last year's pass mark, its so much less?? Is it really the case, as I have been thinking differently all along !!

thanks
How long is a piece of string?

Assume they will perform better at home than in a stressful exam. You also tend to over-prepare for an exam, working at a slightly higher level. There were several children in our school who only passed a section by one point. Luckily none failed by one point, but imagine how you would feel if they did. Nothing is guaranteed, but it was good knowing the result was almost certainly in the bag. And this year the pass mark could be higher; it varies a lot year to year.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now