Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:09 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:52 pm
Posts: 151
A couple of my friends are in a bit of a dilemma, as am I! Would love to hear feedback from parents with children at either (or both?) Judd and Skinners.

I realise that Judd is 'ahead' of Skinners this year in terms of results for KS4 but, last year, I understand, it was the other way around? It all depends on how you look at if, of course, as at A-level the 'AAB' higher at Skinners although total % of A/A* higher at Judd.

Results are not everything though. Of more concern, there seems to be a significantly lower proportion of pupils at sixth form as a percentage of total number of pupils at Judd (1097 / 167 if counting boys only - 15%) compared with Skinners (total: 978/6th form: 250 - 26%) - is this because more boys continue into sixth at Skinners compared with Judd, or is this due to 'new' blood coming in? I've heard from one mum that Judd is absolutely brilliant but that it's very competitive to move into Sixth Form with lots of boys applying for places elsewhere at that point.

Would like to hear views on both schools in this regard plus provision in terms of sports, particularly cricket, football and tennis.

How about pastoral care?

Many thanks :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:04 pm
Posts: 13
turnip08 wrote:
A couple of my friends are in a bit of a dilemma, as am I! Would love to hear feedback from parents with children at either (or both?) Judd and Skinners.

I realise that Judd is 'ahead' of Skinners this year in terms of results for KS4 but, last year, I understand, it was the other way around? It all depends on how you look at if, of course, as at A-level the 'AAB' higher at Skinners although total % of A/A* higher at Judd.

Results are not everything though. Of more concern, there seems to be a significantly lower proportion of pupils at sixth form as a percentage of total number of pupils at Judd (1097 / 167 if counting boys only - 15%) compared with Skinners (total: 978/6th form: 250 - 26%) - is this because more boys continue into sixth at Skinners compared with Judd, or is this due to 'new' blood coming in? I've heard from one mum that Judd is absolutely brilliant but that it's very competitive to move into Sixth Form with lots of boys applying for places elsewhere at that point.

Would like to hear views on both schools in this regard plus provision in terms of sports, particularly cricket, football and tennis.

How about pastoral care?

Many thanks :)


I can only respond from a Judd perspective and from my experience of chatting with parents of boys at Skinners. I am 100% happy with our choice to send our son to Judd. It's totally the school for him - he's happy and settled and it plays to all his strengths. It's a very conservative and traditional school with old fashioned values. If sport is important to your son, Judd is the school for you. BUT it's strictly a rugby school. Football is not on the PE curriculum at all and tennis doesn't seem to feature high up on the list either - we pay for tennis lessons outside of school. Rugby, cricket, athletics... the coaching is first class.

They offer the kind of classic curriculum I enjoyed at grammar school in the 80s. There are no 'trendy' or 'soft' subjects. I don't believe they even offer computing. In terms of pastoral care, I can't comment as we have never had to access any kind of support, however, my understanding is that if pastoral care is important to you, Skinners may be a better school for you.
Feel free to inbox me if you have any further queries.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:06 pm
Posts: 193
Not strictly true re football at Judd: it is starting in the new year. But yes a heavy rugby bias.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:44 am
Posts: 132
-


Last edited by LocalTWmum1 on Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:04 pm
Posts: 13
FortyNinePence wrote:
Not strictly true re football at Judd: it is starting in the new year. But yes a heavy rugby bias.

They've been talking about this for a few years - I haven't received any notification that it's actually happening - although I know boys have been pushing for it


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:52 pm
Posts: 151
Thank you all for your very helpful feedback, much appreciated.

Would be good to hear from some Skinners parents too! :)

PS - I know cricket is fairly good at Judd; how about at Skinners?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:19 pm
Posts: 8123
Very happy Skinners' parent here. One DS has just left and the other is still there. The school site itself is busy but there is an excellent new gym and fitness suite complete with climbing wall and the boys walk up to games in the fields at Southfields, this is not much different to Judd boys who, I believe, have to walk up to Vizards from school. Skinners' also have the Byng Theatre on site which is used for drama, music etc.

My boys are more into sport than art, drama or music but there certainly seems to be plenty of all of those going on as we get lots of notifications and invites to concerts and performances. Skinners' has a good range of clubs and activities, CCF, DofE etc etc and I'm sure that Judd has the same.

With regard to 6th form in ds1's year, a number of boys came in but few left to go elsewhere.

The results are very similar but a school is more than its results, you really do need to go and visit and get a feel for them both. Good luck with your decision it's a nice decision to have to make.

Do message me if you want any more info about subjects offered etc or anything else and I will try and help.

_________________
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:04 pm
Posts: 13
doodles wrote:
Very happy Skinners' parent here. One DS has just left and the other is still there. The school site itself is busy but there is an excellent new gym and fitness suite complete with climbing wall and the boys walk up to games in the fields at Southfields, this is not much different to Judd boys who, I believe, have to walk up to Vizards from school. Skinners' also have the Byng Theatre on site which is used for drama, music etc.

My boys are more into sport than art, drama or music but there certainly seems to be plenty of all of those going on as we get lots of notifications and invites to concerts and performances. Skinners' has a good range of clubs and activities, CCF, DofE etc etc and I'm sure that Judd has the same.

With regard to 6th form in ds1's year, a number of boys came in but few left to go elsewhere.

The results are very similar but a school is more than its results, you really do need to go and visit and get a feel for them both. Good luck with your decision it's a nice decision to have to make.

Do message me if you want any more info about subjects offered etc or anything else and I will try and help.


I agree with Doodles. There's a close association between the two schools and some friendly rivalry, but I've never heard anyone say anything negative about Skinners. Indeed I have a friend who works there for the catering company and she urged me to send my son there as she said it was such happy school. On visiting, I felt Judd was a better fit, and stand by my decision, but have no doubt that he'd have been happy at Skinners too. Go and look at both and go with your gut feeling.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:44 am
Posts: 132
turnip08 wrote:
Thank you all for your very helpful feedback, much appreciated.

Would be good to hear from some Skinners parents too! :)

PS - I know cricket is fairly good at Judd; how about at Skinners?


Hope cricket's good at Judd, have been told it's great at both - it's definitely my son's favourite sport! All the coaches I've met so far have been great, so here's hoping... :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:35 am
Posts: 131
I'm extremely happy with Skinners for my son - he loves it, the pastoral care is excellent and he's thriving. I don't think there is any/much football, it's a very rugby orientated school. Cricket is strong and encouraged - one of my son's friends plays for Kent and is strongly encouraged in that. My son isn't very sporty but enjoys the STEM, Drama, Chess etc. I honestly don't have a bad word to say about it!

Am v much hoping his siblings will follow on in due course, but with the scores moving due to the lack of catchment, I'm getting worried!! (We may have to go to the 'dark side' (according to DS1) and look at Judd... :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2021