Darford Grammar for girls or Townley??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest14

Darford Grammar for girls or Townley??

Post by Guest14 »

Hi, we have been trying to decide between Dartford Grammar for Girls and Townley Grammar for our DD. The CAF deadline is approaching and we can't seem to decide which school should be our first preference. Townley appears to be more modern and Dartford traditional. We have a feeling parents generally prefer Dartford over Townley. But looking at this year's results we are totally confused. Townely has done better at GCSE results and has definitely outdone Dartford in A-Levels results. DD has her heart set on Dartford because of its swimming pool. Townley is closer to us. If we choose Dartford for DD we will make a move in 1-2 years. We also hear that travel time to two schools is nearly the same. Any advice and help in deciding the first preference will be much appreciated.
PettswoodFiona

Re: Darford Grammar for girls or Townley??

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Personally I’d disregard A level as a good number of students move on at that point. Focus on GCSE and see if that helps. I have a friend’s DD very happy at Dartford, many of the girls are local, but not all. She gets a lot of homework. I know some of DD’s friends who are at Townley and love the dance element but they find meeting up with friends a challenge as the school isn’t on top of a station or transport hub and whilst there are numerous buses and coaches it makes being independent meeting up with friends a challenge. Just a few thoughts there, good luck with the decision.
Guest14

Post by Guest14 »

PettswoodFiona wrote:Personally I’d disregard A level as a good number of students move on at that point. Focus on GCSE and see if that helps. I have a friend’s DD very happy at Dartford, many of the girls are local, but not all. She gets a lot of homework. I know some of DD’s friends who are at Townley and love the dance element but they find meeting up with friends a challenge as the school isn’t on top of a station or transport hub and whilst there are numerous buses and coaches it makes being independent meeting up with friends a challenge. Just a few thoughts there, good luck with the decision.
Thank you PettswoodFiona, that's very helpful. DD has this impression that pupils at Dartford are more serious about study and wants to go there. She is not into dance and music unlike her sister. She likes sciences and Maths and enjoys sports. And although she enjoys Maths and non verbal reasoning more she always scores better in English and verbal reasoning.
merochori

Post by merochori »

We are also in the same position. Our DD also prefers Science/Maths rather than Dance/music. So we're more inclined towards Dartford School but still not decided.
Guest14

Post by Guest14 »

merochori wrote:We are also in the same position. Our DD also prefers Science/Maths rather than Dance/music. So we're more inclined towards Dartford School but still not decided.
Wow, might they go to same school and make friends with each other? Our DD doesn't want to go to mixed school. She is mature but reserved - confident and happy person, we've noticed she doesn't speak to everyone like she used to when she was younger and everyone would tell me she was a chatter box. We have faith she will do well wherever she goes. It is important she is happy where she goes and she has good friends and teachers.
merochori

Post by merochori »

Guest14 wrote:
merochori wrote:We are also in the same position. Our DD also prefers Science/Maths rather than Dance/music. So we're more inclined towards Dartford School but still not decided.
Wow, might they go to same school and make friends with each other? Our DD doesn't want to go to mixed school. She is mature but reserved - confident and happy person, we've noticed she doesn't speak to everyone like she used to when she was younger and everyone would tell me she was a chatter box. We have faith she will do well wherever she goes. It is important she is happy where she goes and she has good friends and teachers.
Our DD is also same like yours more reserved than before. Hope she will be happy in Dartford School.
Regards
Seendy1

Post by Seendy1 »

Hi Merochori & Guest 14- what did you get in the end? My daughter - OOC- has a place in Dartford Grammar for Girls
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now