Dartford Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bondgirl

Re: Dartford Grammar School

Post by bondgirl »

As salsa says, there is no setting as such. However, there is a Gifted and Talented programme across the curriculum giving the more able students in different subject areas the opportunity to be stretched further.

I’m not aware of additional maths qualifications at GCSE level. DS has taken part in the national Maths Challenge competitions but will only sit GCSE maths. I’m not aware of any limitations because of this. I understand Higher Maths as part of the IB is very challenging (but this is anecdotal from students!)
salsa

Post by salsa »

Thank you Bondgirl,
Apart from those, there are languages lunchtime clubs, although I don't know how much you could learn from them. What I have seen is that languages are taught to the community in the evening/Saturdays, but I don't know if those include Latin. I think it would just be the school being used as a venue.

Salsa
RoboR

Post by RoboR »

Goodstudent& wrote:Hello,

May I also join the opportunity to ask a few questions about this fantastic school:

I noticed they have just 3 hours a week for maths. How do they stretch the most able students? Is it enough to get the good depth? Also do they offer the additional qualification like OCR Additional Maths at GCSE?

Uf one picks up any modern European language, one has to give up the opportunity to learn the Latin on timetable. This is a bit limiting. But is there opportunity to study Latin off timetable after school or at lunch, or in the form of paid extras?

Many thanks for your help. This forum is invaluable source of information.
Just to add, in Y8 they have just started a Latin Excellence program which happens after school on a wed and my son is also doing a Mandarin Excellence program on a Tuesday after school and is loving both !!
salsa

Post by salsa »

RoboR wrote:
Goodstudent& wrote:Hello,

May I also join the opportunity to ask a few questions about this fantastic school:

I noticed they have just 3 hours a week for maths. How do they stretch the most able students? Is it enough to get the good depth? Also do they offer the additional qualification like OCR Additional Maths at GCSE?

Uf one picks up any modern European language, one has to give up the opportunity to learn the Latin on timetable. This is a bit limiting. But is there opportunity to study Latin off timetable after school or at lunch, or in the form of paid extras?

Many thanks for your help. This forum is invaluable source of information.
Just to add, in Y8 they have just started a Latin Excellence program which happens after school on a wed and my son is also doing a Mandarin Excellence program on a Tuesday after school and is loving both !!
Wow, I didn't know that, RoboR.
Do you have to pay for those? I thought the Excellence programme was only open for current year 7 students and only for Japanese and Mandarin. (This is the new accelerated programme where they would take their GCSE one year early and it is free, by the way)

Does your son learn Latin and Mandarin during the day?

Salsa
RoboR

Post by RoboR »

Hi Salsa

This is a new course that is also free which will be in addition to the day classes (He also has lessons in mandarin and latin), its very new and his year is the 1st to have it.
salsa

Post by salsa »

RoboR wrote:Hi Salsa

This is a new course that is also free which will be in addition to the day classes (He also has lessons in mandarin and latin), its very new and his year is the 1st to have it.
Ah, I see. This means that they will have to be studying it during the day too. The enquiry was if they were doing other languages, for example, Japanese and Spanish, would they be able to do Latin in the evening?

Salsa
RoboR

Post by RoboR »

OK I understand, am not sure tbh but will try to find out next week.
salsa

Post by salsa »

RoboR wrote:OK I understand, am not sure tbh but will try to find out next week.
Thanks. I expect it is only for those who are doing the language during the day.

Salsa
ritz80

Post by ritz80 »

salsa wrote:
ritz80 wrote:Hello all, what is SIF? And does anyone know if DGS requires one?
TIA
SIF = Supplementary Information Form, but DGS does not require one. The girl's school does require one. (Dartford Grammar School for Girls)

Salsa

Thank you Salsa :D
salsa

Post by salsa »

You’re welcome :D

Salsa
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now