Travel advice -

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
liceo_classico

Travel advice -

Post by liceo_classico »

Good evening,
I would like to have your opinion regarding potential travel time that my DS may do if he gets one of the schools on his CAF. We are putting Dartford and Beths as our first choices, but he really liked Skinners. To be honest, I was not considering the school in the very beginning because how far it is from us. But he probably won't have enough points for Dartford (378). We live close to London Bridge so door to door would be 1:15 (1 stop tube, 45 min train and then walking to the school). I've talked to the Admissions office and to my surprise, they were quite encouraging saying that several kids that attend the school travel a great deal, even coming from the coast.
First stop after London Bridge is Orpington and the school told me that several kids take the train there (and I've read so here). So we did the trip a couple of times with DS and he says he is sure and doesn't mind (according to him he will take the time to do his homework...). Main concern for me is extra activities like sports training, Parents - Teachers meetings ). But also Winter, severe weather, etc.
Successful stories anyone??

Thanks a lot!
Sorrel

Re: Travel advice -

Post by Sorrel »

Hi - we're in Orpington and going for Skinners and I've been uneasy that that's quite a long commute for a child, given there's a 20 min walk when you get there. With a tube before you even get on the train at LBG there would be quite a lot of scope for snarl ups, as well as time changing. But of course depends on your individual child.
Clawhit

Post by Clawhit »

Evening,

Sorry I have no advice re travel but just wanted to put make sure you put a realistic option on the CAF form as well. Dartfords first round was a 387 last year - I'm sorry to say that until those score levels come out knowbody knows but I don't think given the increase year on year a 378 will be good enough you never know just always have a back up plan is what I'm saying - make sure you use option 4.

Also the school Dartford is not just a 5 minute walk from the station especially in bad weather.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

2.5 hours a day on top of school - assuming of course that there are no hold ups or delays....and every time I go anywhere near a tube or train there are plenty of those...I think it is too much, personally.
liceo_classico

Post by liceo_classico »

Sorrel wrote:Hi - we're in Orpington and going for Skinners and I've been uneasy that that's quite a long commute for a child, given there's a 20 min walk when you get there. With a tube before you even get on the train at LBG there would be quite a lot of scope for snarl ups, as well as time changing. But of course depends on your individual child.
TBH we found it very straight forward, and the walk was not even 15 min. Could I ask you what things do they do outside normal school hours and how regular? Thanks a lot!
liceo_classico

Post by liceo_classico »

Clawhit wrote:Evening,

Sorry I have no advice re travel but just wanted to put make sure you put a realistic option on the CAF form as well. Dartfords first round was a 387 last year - I'm sorry to say that until those score levels come out knowbody knows but I don't think given the increase year on year a 378 will be good enough you never know just always have a back up plan is what I'm saying - make sure you use option 4.

Also the school Dartford is not just a 5 minute walk from the station especially in bad weather.
Hi Clawhit, yes we know it's a very long shot but I don't want to miss the opportunity to put it down as you never know what could happen this year. He speaks 4 languages and being from continental Europe an IB could be the perfect option for him to eventually go back and do University back home.
We are though using all our 6 options. My question for Skinners is how high or how low to put it in the first 5. Last spot is for a comprehensive. He passed besides Kent, also Bexley and first round Sutton so we can list Wallington too.

Thank you for taking the time to answer :wink:
liceo_classico

Post by liceo_classico »

kenyancowgirl wrote:2.5 hours a day on top of school - assuming of course that there are no hold ups or delays....and every time I go anywhere near a tube or train there are plenty of those...I think it is too much, personally.
I understand what you are saying, as this is our main concern. Not the tube delay because there is a bus at our doorstep that takes you really quick to LB or I could drive him there. All our options involve travelling (though less time), the main difference with Skinners is that driving to TW makes absolutely no sense at all because the train is much faster. All other schools in case of bad weather or delays I could drop him to school with the car.
salsa

Post by salsa »

The latest train your son could get to Dartford from London Bridge would be the 7:48 which arrives at 8:26. There is a 10-15 minute walk to the school, quicker if you know the shortcuts. He's got to be in his form room by 8:40
The trains normally run on time and going against traffic there are always seats for the children.

The connexions from London Bridge to Bexleyheath do not seem great. A lot of children go to Dartford and then loop back to Bexleyheath. I can see that there is a train at 8:07 arriving at 8:33, but not sure how long it would be from the station to the school, which would probably make your child take the 7:33 to be on the safe side, but this would arrive very early at 8:04. Beths also start at 8:40.

Best of luck!

Salsa
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

You could be fine with Dartford on reallocation; no-one seems to know what the score dropped to after the first round last year. I see why you would want it. I'm putting Judd as first choice, even though something freaky would have to happen for the ooc cut off to get down to 383 - but hey, freaky things might happen and I'd be kicking myself then if I didn't put it down. It wins out over Skinners just for travel time - 20 min train, 5-7 min walk.
Clawhit

Post by Clawhit »

liceo_classico wrote:
Clawhit wrote:Evening,

Hi Clawhit, yes we know it's a very long shot but I don't want to miss the opportunity to put it down as you never know what could happen this year. He speaks 4 languages and being from continental Europe an IB could be the perfect option for him to eventually go back and do University back home.
We are though using all our 6 options. My question for Skinners is how high or how low to put it in the first 5. Last spot is for a comprehensive. He passed besides Kent, also Bexley and first round Sutton so we can list Wallington too.

Thank you for taking the time to answer :wink:
No issue at all one of my DD's was one of only 2 children in Kent not to get offered a grammar last year she passed 3 separate exams - we went to appeal and got one from that and second from waiting list so I just know how hard those spaces are to get (and I'm in county) and lucky for me I have back to back 11 pluses so am now submitting my CAF for DS :shock:

Just use all those spaces on that CAF form if you are unhappy appeal and only you know your child - my eldest would get lost in the 1.5 miles to school but number 2 no issue at all with direction and is more than happy to travel and nails her homework every night.

Best of luck