Year 6 Algebra

Pupils should be taught to:
* use simple formulae
* generate and describe linear number sequences
* express missing number problems algebraically
* find pairs of numbers that satisfy an equation with 2 unknowns
* enumerate possibilities of combinations of 2 variables

Notes and guidance (non-statutory)
Pupils should be introduced to the use of symbols and letters to represent variables and unknowns in mathematical situations that they already understand, such as:
* missing numbers, lengths, coordinates and angles
* formulae in mathematics and science
* equivalent expressions (for example, a + b = b + a)
* generalisations of number patterns
* number puzzles (for example, what 2 numbers can add up to)
The Lamp Post

Re: 'Syllabus For Kent 11+ Maths

Post by The Lamp Post »

Thankyou all for the feedback, just wondered because the GL Pack of papers are quite old, whilst many people recommend I was wondering how aligned it was with a curriculum which may have changed
salsa

Post by salsa »

The Lamp Post wrote:Thankyou all for the feedback, just wondered because the GL Pack of papers are quite old, whilst many people recommend I was wondering how aligned it was with a curriculum which may have changed
You are right. Pack 1 was published in 1990 and pack 2 later, but I can't find the reference now, but certainly before the current curriculum.

Salsa
Angelkitten72

Post by Angelkitten72 »

I found “first aid in mathematics” very useful. We worked through a chapter at a time over several months and did the exercises and tests at back over the summer . It covers everything you would need to know. DD got 130 in test (she is quite good at maths anyway.) “Illustrated first aid in English “ is also a good reference book too and well worth dipping in to over Year 5. “Vocabulary for 11+” was also excellent for English prep!
The Lamp Post

Post by The Lamp Post »

Hi all useful information, my DD took 11+ this year, whilst he passed maths couldn't help feel he under-performed. We worked Bond books and GL papers. But having looked at some SAT papers for year 6 was thinking the test may have been closer to those papers
The Lamp Post

Post by The Lamp Post »

Oh should say the reason I am asking is someone asked for my advice, I wasn't sure if I was best placed to as I wasn't sure what the test alligned to
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

Most children who have been top table and suitably tutored will be able to answer most maths questions easily. There will always be a couple of random harder questions to test the more able. How much you want to study to be ready for those hard questions in an exam with a very low pass threshold, will depend on whether you are aiming for a basic pass or a super-selective. My daughter has always been good at maths, but tends to struggle to grasp the longer problem type questions, but still got a very good mark.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now