Kent Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
salsa

Re: Kent Grammar School

Post by salsa »

Was it this case?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -away.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/ed ... class.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Salsa
bellabelly

Post by bellabelly »

Poor kid - both for being allocated a school 2 hours away and for being described as a "brave little soldier" by his mum in the national press. My boys would be FUMING if I did that!
salsa

Post by salsa »

Well, he won his appeal for Wilmington, which was a mere 18 miles! I wonder if he ended up going there or if this was too much travel for him?

Salsa
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/8043260.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

salsa wrote:Was it this case?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -away.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/ed ... class.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Salsa
There was one in the papers over our side of the Thames a few years back, girl didn't get Woodford County High School and mum was horrified that she was forced to go all the way to Colchester County High. Thing being, child not Essex resident - must have been in catchment for Woodford, therefore not living under the remit of Essex CC, as the reason given was that she didn't do well enough in the entrance exam; (ditto Chelmsford County High, IIRC) and so wouldn't have been allocated any Essex CC school as an NRA / NUS. So, for her to get a place at an Essex grammar school, whoever filled in her CAF must actually have said that they would like her to go there... :roll:

A propos the Kent child, were the two grammar schools on his CAF actually the nearest ones he would have qualified for, or are there others that he would have been allocated, had they been named?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Clawhit

Post by Clawhit »

We didn't get allocated any of our closest ones - on our letter it did say Maidstone had places so we could submit a late application but no way was I letting my dd travel circa 3 hours a day. We appealed and won for one school and also got offered off of wait list for others.
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

Just did a Rightmove property search for central Hounslow and found twelve outstanding Ofsted rated secondary schools within three miles. I don't know much about Hounslow, but if it was my child I would be researching the admission criteria for schools closer to home, rather than in a county I know little about.
Last edited by Sparklecat on Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

Outstanding secondary schools near Hounslow.

St Mark's Catholic School. 0.8 miles.

Lampton Academy. 0.8 miles.

The Heathland School. 1.1 miles.

Nishkam (Sikh) School. 1.2 miles.

Green School for Girls. 1.6 miles.

St Richard Reynolds Catholic School. 1.7 miles.

Waldegrave School. 2.0 miles.

Orleans Park School. 2.1 miles.

Featherstone High School. 2.5 miles.

Cranford Community College. 2.5 miles.

Gunnersbury Catholic School. 2.5 miles.

Grey Court School. 2.8 miles.

Apparently the Sikh school is the only one that is oversubscribed.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Sparklecat wrote:Outstanding secondary schools near Hounslow.
St Mark's Catholic School. 0.8 miles.
Lampton Academy. 0.8 miles.
The Heathland School. 1.1 miles.
Nishkam (Sikh) School. 1.2 miles.
Green School for Girls. 1.6 miles.
St Richard Reynolds Catholic School
. 1.7 miles.
Waldegrave School. 2.0 miles.
Orleans Park School. 2.1 miles.
Featherstone High School. 2.5 miles.
Cranford Community College. 2.5 miles.
Gunnersbury Catholic School. 2.5 miles.
Grey Court School. 2.8 miles.

Apparently the Sikh school is the only one that is oversubscribed.

I agree about local schools Sparklecat. However, I am familiar with these schools and the majority of them are C of E or Catholic and impossible to get into unless a churchgoer form birth or have minute (like 500 yards) catchments (Orleans Park and Waldegrave). OP has already said that she is out of catchment for Heathland but in for Kingsley, which would mean she has no hope of Lampton, Cranbrook or Featherstone either. On that basis I cannot imagine OP's DC would be able to get into any of these schools listed.
ETA actually I have confused OP with another Hounslow poster looking at ludicrous commutes to schools with which she is unfamiliar! However, the above still stands apart from knowing where OP lives! Best bets for a girl where one might actually get a place would be Brentford High, for a boy perhaps Isleworth and Syon?
mad?
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

Anand76 wrote:Hi - My daughter scored 384 and we are out of catchment? My workplace is London Bridge. Can you suggest grammar school in Kent County which we should target for and that is also close to London Bridge?
Just out of interest, and courtesy to those who helped you...did you list any Kent, Medway or Bexley schools on your daughter's secondary application form?
lefol

Post by lefol »

I actually do feel quite sorry for Anand. Her query may have been quite genuine and naive but some of the responses posted here and on the Medway and Bexley forums have been really harsh, rude and unnecessary. She is probably too scared to reply to your question. Good luck to her and her DD with the choices they make . We really do need to think carefully before posting.