Kent Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Anand76

Kent Grammar School

Post by Anand76 »

Hi - My daughter scored 384 and we are out of catchment? My workplace is London Bridge. Can you suggest grammar school in Kent County which we should target for and that is also close to London Bridge?
ToadMum

Re: Kent Grammar School

Post by ToadMum »

Anand76 wrote:Hi - My daughter scored 384 and we are out of catchment? My workplace is London Bridge. Can you suggest grammar school in Kent County which we should target for and that is also close to London Bridge?
Here you go, all the admissions policies in one place :) (the Kent CC website that you must have visited in order to register your DD to sit the Kent Test?):

https://www.kent.gov.uk/education-and-c ... ria-201819
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Anand76

Post by Anand76 »

Thanks, do we have cut off score available.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Anand76 wrote:Thanks, do we have cut off score available.
The cutoff scores, where relevant, will only be known after applications are received and places allocated on March 1st. If you mean historical cutoff scores, I'm sure there's mention of them in various posts in this section of the forum; you will find them if you use the 'search' facility (top right hand of page between 'FAQ' and 'Members').
Last edited by ToadMum on Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

Anand76 wrote:Can you suggest grammar school in Kent County which we should target for and that is also close to London Bridge?
No Kent grammar schools are close to central London, as a consequence of being located in Kent.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Just out of idle curiosity, Anand76, at which school in Kent did your DD sit the Kent Test?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

As people on this and your two other threads have repeatedly pointed out, you need to make that decision yourself, based on what you are your child think of the different schools. We can only offer advice, but even that is difficult if you give no other information.

Kent, Bexley and Medway cover a vast area, surely you must have some idea of where you want your child to spend the best part of the next 7 years of their life?

Presuming that you are serious, I suggest that you visit some of these schools , with your family and base your decision on that.
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

I see from another discussion you live in Hounslow. That must be a two or three hour journey each way for your poor daughter. It looks like you need another plan, because this one is not very practical (grits teeth, must stay polite).
lefol

Post by lefol »

I know you may feel others have given you a harsh time with their responses so far . The message that seems to come across is that you should try and visit a few schools in Kent you wish to apply for before completing the CAF form to ensure the journey time is not too far for your son or daughter . Your only option for schools if you live around the London Bridge area will be to apply for those Kent schools that admit solely on high scores .A high score for some schools will be in the range of 385 and above . I have seen a few boys from Dartford, St Olaves and Skinners at London Bridge station . Journey time may take up to an hour but again that’s subject to train delays . I recall you stated on the bexley forum that your intention is to move as you DC also passed the bexley test . If that is the case, do a shortlist of bexley and Kent schools and area you would like to live close to both schools . From BexleyHeath and surrounding areas, you can access schools such as Bexley Grammar, Chis and Sid, Beth’s, Dartford, Wilmington and Gravesend. Good luck and spend the half term doing some research .
salsa

Post by salsa »

Sparklecat wrote:I see from another discussion you live in Hounslow. That must be a two or three hour journey each way for your poor daughter. It looks like you need another plan, because this one is not very practical (grits teeth, must stay polite).
The OP has said that they’ll move near wherever they are offered. The problem is that:
Bexley. You need to be top 180 to choose, so, not the case.
Then, distance. Bexley Grammar and Chis & Sid do not stretch 34 miles.
Townley, nobody really knows. So, they’ll have to contact the school.
Kent:
If you move after the schools are allocated, the only option is those schools on scores. Wilmington on Maths score. We don’t have information from Anand76, so can’t help.
Dartford Girls 385 last year for OOC, nobody knows what it will be this year. I think Anand76 may be thinking that the school sets a cut off score before they give places. (I’ve often seen parents thinking this). What happens, Anand76, is that they will fill up their spaces with the higher scorers and work their way down. Sorry if you already knew this as I don’t mean to be patronising. With 384, it is possible, but it all depends on who applies.
TGS, 395 last year, so, also by score and explanation as above.
Medway, sorry, don’t know anything about these schools. However, gravesendgal has already answered that question on the Medway thread.
If you moved to Kent (if your daughter gets offered a place) there are frequent trains to London Bridge (about 45 minuets from Dartford, for example).

Salsa

@Sparklecat, you did well in staying polite. The OP will soon realise that those who are polite in this forum get more answers to their questions. We’re only human, after all, and like it when people say thank you.

Crossed posts lefol, the OP lives in Hounslow, but they want to move after allocation day.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now