How do I obtain correct syllabus?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
guest5

Post by guest5 »

hello

thanks for all posts, time has now moved on and my child is now visiting a tutor. I did buy various books but my child was not happy to go through them with me. I didn't want to pursue it as I didn't want to put my child off and destabilise our relationship. Instead, we found a local tutor who has taken child on. My child enjoys these sessions and happily completes the required homework.

However, I hadn't wanted to go down the private tutoring route as I thought that as long as a child was familiar with format, was above average, then the 11plus was worth trying. Having spoken to numerous parents (all with different experiences and some with strong opinions) I feel that we have made the right decision for our family. I do not feel that my child would struggle in a grammar school and independent education is not an option for us as it is financially unviable. I hope that I have given my child the opportunity and the rest is up to him. He is certainly happy to have a go and is not feeling under any pressure.
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

You sound very wise! I was fortunate in son no.1 that working with him brought us closer together (most of the time!). However, there is a big difference with son no.2, who is far more volatile! You are absolutely right in that you have to what feels right for your family. Private tutoring is the right answer for many and I don't agree that it is "coaching" them above their natural ability. Our tutor didn't believe that you can successfully "coach" a child who does not have a natural ability. The exams are purposely written to test this. Rather, it should help consolidate their ability and help them feel confident about taking the exams. If they get on well with their tutor, this confidence will increase. Our tutor's mott was "confidence is key" in the 11+ success and a good one-to-one relationship can really establish this.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now