Wilmington higher on CAF or ouststanding new free school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Rsinsinwar

Re: Wilmington higher on CAF or ouststanding new free school

Post by Rsinsinwar »

:evil:
Guest55 wrote:Good is good enough - without 'real' results I think outstanding is meaningless.

Many thanks for your views. Any one of you with Wilmington experience to share?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Why the angry face? I've read hundreds of Ofsteds - Wilmington's is 4 years old.

Without 'real' data ie GCSEs a lot of the judgements are made on what the school says. The difference between good and outstanding can be minimal. You have too much faith in Ofsted ... it's a snapshot.
Rsinsinwar

Post by Rsinsinwar »

Guest55 wrote:Why the angry face? I've read hundreds of Ofsteds - Wilmington's is 4 years old.

Without 'real' data ie GCSEs a lot of the judgements are made on what the school says. The difference between good and outstanding can be minimal. You have too much faith in Ofsted ... it's a snapshot.

Guest 55, angry face ;) even I didn’t know how that happened :)

We were new in the country and only could understand ofsted rating of this complex education system in the country :(

But you are right, inspections and test results both are snapshots only, and don’t reflect down ward or upward trend.

Because , we missed the opportunity to visit the schools we are back to checking ofsted reports , which makes me worry. Hence the query.
salsa

Post by salsa »

It’s a pity you couldn’t visit the school as I think your boy would have loved it as you describe him as a techie. Wilmington has more DT facilities than Dartford Grammar and DT was unfortunately not offered to my son for GCSE due to lack of funding. I visited Wilmington several times and got a very warm feeling. We did ask the headteacher about the issues found by OFSTED and he said, back in 2013, that they were fair comments which they already had addressed.

Both my boys liked the school, but we chose Dartford Grammar due to other considerations. One of which was their languages.

I hope some Wilmington parents come along to give you more information.

Salsa
Rsinsinwar

Post by Rsinsinwar »

salsa wrote:It’s a pity you couldn’t visit the school as I think your boy would have loved it as you describe him as a techie. Wilmington has more DT facilities than Dartford Grammar and DT was unfortunately not offered to my son for GCSE due to lack of funding. I visited Wilmington several times and got a very warm feeling. We did ask the headteacher about the issues found by OFSTED and he said, back in 2013, that they were fair comments which they already had addressed.

Both my boys liked the school, but we chose Dartford Grammar due to other considerations. One of which was their languages.

I hope some Wilmington parents come along to give you more information.

Salsa
I know Salsa, my son shows son keen interest in Drama and even literacy lessons.

And my gut feeling is he will love the DT class( his currently fav. as well)but I feel Dartford’s seemingly extra disciplined environment would either make him or break him .....scared Mum :(

Anyways, I am flying out tomorrow morning so tonight is decision night. Will go by my personal intuition in the dark. Although this forum and U in particular gave many insights in to the 11+ Grammar schools world around here .

Thanks.