Skinners School consulting to change admission for 2019

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Dantsw13

Re: Skinners School consulting to change admission for 2019

Post by Dantsw13 »

But it isn’t local, it’s “Kent only” the school is right at the southern end of the catchment. I’m closer to TW than Otford & Westerham, but now excluded.

As per my previous post, had these been the rules, I probably wouldn’t have started down this path. Now I have to sit my son down tonight and tell him his all his hard work is dashed because the goalposts have moved.
LocalTWmum1

Post by LocalTWmum1 »

Dantsw13 wrote:But it isn’t local, it’s “Kent only” the school is right at the southern end of the catchment. I’m closer to TW than Otford & Westerham, but now excluded.

As per my previous post, had these been the rules, I probably wouldn’t have started down this path. Now I have to sit my son down tonight and tell him his all his hard work is dashed because the goalposts have moved.
Can see that must be a bitter pill to swallow. Where do you live? Are there no other grammar schools nearby? The Judd/Skinners' schools catchments are (or will be) set to further north than south because otherwise they would overlap with the catchment area for Cranbrook School I guess? Don't forget both schools will still have a number of places for high scoring OOC children - is that a possibility for your son?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

As it is a consultation, before you dash your son's hopes, why not make your views known via the consultation process? You may find other parents are doing so too and that the actual outcomes may be more watered down. And, as LocalTWmum1 says, there are likely to be places for high scoring OOC children - and I think Skinners was always a high scoring entry school - so perhaps your son will be one of these through all his hard work?
Dantsw13

Post by Dantsw13 »

My DD got an OOA place at TGS, and DS is bright, so has a chance, but with first Judd, now Skinners changing to hugely restrict OOA it’s extremely tough. We have a chance for TWGB as well, but I’m not sure how far their distances will go.

We are south of TW in E Sussex

I will write to the consultation team, but let’s be honest they’ve already decided.
Dantsw13

Post by Dantsw13 »

If the consultation goes through score will not matter. 20 OOA places, 5 of those to FSM kids, then 15 based on distance. I’ll wager those 15 will all be less than a mile outside the catchment.
FortyNinePence

Post by FortyNinePence »

I think the sons of staff members rule is atrocious nepotism.

I am not aware of any other superselectives that get away with this

The Skinners West Kent net seems smaller than the Judd one.
LocalTWmum1

Post by LocalTWmum1 »

FortyNinePence wrote:I think the sons of staff members rule is atrocious nepotism.

Not sure you can really call Cranbrook School a super selective along the same lines as Judd or Skinners, but they certainly cater for children of staff, see page 2 (point d):

http://www.cranbrookschool.co.uk/wp-con ... Policy.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dantsw13

Post by Dantsw13 »

I have no issue with the kids of teachers rule at all - they deserve any benefit they can get.

Are Judd or Skinners still super selective with the changes? Certainly not Skinners.
FortyNinePence

Post by FortyNinePence »

Dantsw13 wrote:I have no issue with the kids of teachers rule at all - they deserve any benefit they can get.

Are Judd or Skinners still super selective with the changes? Certainly not Skinners.
I don’t agree that children of teachers deserve it at all. I speak as a child of a teacher!

If Judd and Skinners aren’t SS with the inner area then TGS isn’t either. I’d say all three still are as they still select based on score rather than a straight pass.
FortyNinePence

Post by FortyNinePence »

LocalTWmum1 wrote:
FortyNinePence wrote:I think the sons of staff members rule is atrocious nepotism.

Not sure you can really call Cranbrook School a super selective along the same lines as Judd or Skinners, but they certainly cater for children of staff, see page 2 (point d):

http://www.cranbrookschool.co.uk/wp-con ... Policy.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It’s only a tiebreaker though at Cranbrook

So if local labourers kid got 355 and teachers kid got 354, then local labourers kid would get the place

Whereas my understanding from next year at Skinners you could have this scenario....

Little Jonty’s Dad is a hedge fund manager and his mum works at Skinners. He’s a good student but with extra tutoring from his mum who knows the system and teaching methods he gets a score of 361 in the Kent test. Little Ewan’s Dad is a labourer and his mum works at Tesco. He’s an excellent student and scored 362 in the Kent test with no extra help at home. He lives 5 miles from the school.

Who deserves the place?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now