Hilden Oaks School in Tonbridge

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tiger22

Hilden Oaks School in Tonbridge

Post by tiger22 »

I am considering moving my DD to this school as it seems to have an exemplary track record of placing girls into Toggs, TWGGS and Weald all of which I would be very happy with. We are in catchment for all three and not happy with their current school, Derwent Lodge(Somerhill). The teachers have all changed and have become too soft. It will be a massive change as it is a much smaller school. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
ToadMum

Re: Hilden Oaks School in Tonbridge

Post by ToadMum »

tiger22 wrote:I am considering moving my DD to this school as it seems to have an exemplary track record of placing girls into Toggs, TWGGS and Weald all of which I would be very happy with. We are in catchment for all three and not happy with their current school, Derwent Lodge(Somerhill). The teachers have all changed and have become too soft. It will be a massive change as it is a much smaller school. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
One thought - whatever line an independent school might sell you, it does not 'place' pupils in any state secondary school. They actually have to qualify as per the relevant school's admissions criteria, academic or otherwise.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
doodles

Post by doodles »

Tiger22 my initial reaction is what year is your dd in? With the 11+ in September is it worth the upheaval and resettling, especially as you say it will be a massive change. Also have you approached the school with your concerns?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
tiger22

Post by tiger22 »

ToadMum wrote:
tiger22 wrote:I am considering moving my DD to this school as it seems to have an exemplary track record of placing girls into Toggs, TWGGS and Weald all of which I would be very happy with. We are in catchment for all three and not happy with their current school, Derwent Lodge(Somerhill). The teachers have all changed and have become too soft. It will be a massive change as it is a much smaller school. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
One thought - whatever line an independent school might sell you, it does not 'place' pupils in any state secondary school. They actually have to qualify as per the relevant school's admissions criteria, academic or otherwise.
Thanks ToadMum, I totally understand and get the student has to qualify. I have been through once already with my DS who was successful. Ok maybe "placing" was the wrong word to use, but I do like to see where the leavers of a school do attend, and a school which has a high percentage of previous students going on to some of the best grammar schools in the area cannot be coincidence.
tiger22

Post by tiger22 »

doodles wrote:Tiger22 my initial reaction is what year is your dd in? With the 11+ in September is it worth the upheaval and resettling, especially as you say it will be a massive change. Also have you approached the school with your concerns?
Thanks doodles.....DD is in year 4 so there is still enough time, albeit not much. Yes I have, but the response was not I wanted to hear. They are a bit too overly positive and think everything is perfect while not providing enough criticism or feedback. I am not one of those parents who wants to hear how great my child is doing all the time. I want to hear what needs to be corrected, and year 4 and 5 are critical. A lot of people don't seem to realise this. School fees at independent schools are not cheap, and I don't feel as if I'm getting what I pay for. It would and probably will be a big change, but I need to act soon.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

tiger22 wrote:They are a bit too overly positive and think everything is perfect while not providing enough criticism or feedback. I am not one of those parents who wants to hear how great my child is doing all the time. I want to hear what needs to be corrected, and year 4 and 5 are critical. A lot of people don't seem to realise this. School fees at independent schools are not cheap, and I don't feel as if I'm getting what I pay for. It would and probably will be a big change, but I need to act soon.
Be careful for what you wish for: too much criticism could be damaging to confidence and negate any nurturing environment. DD was in Independent for primary and the ‘I don’t feel like I am getting what I paid for’ sentiment rubs off on the children and can be toxic. It is one of the reasons I am so glad she is in a state school now. If I were in your shoes where a DC wa happy at school and getting positive feedback I would check their work books myself and see what was needed and subtly apply this from Y5 only to any home tuition for grammar. I would also sit some mocks tests, good quality ones that give feedback and praise my DC but then focus on the weaker areas as part of your eleven plus familiarisation. In the meantime just encourage them to read and enjoy learning.
tiger22

Post by tiger22 »

Thanks pettswoodfiona...what mock tests would you recommend? Also does anyone have any colour on the HildenOaks School which was the original topic of my thread?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I’ll PM you about the mock provider. No experience of Hilden Oaks but bear in mind many grammar places are not always anything to do with the school. They will take the credit but tutoring outside the school even in the Independents is the norm, we were unusual in doing home tuition rather than paid tuition.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Sorry do not know hilden oaks either. Had 2nd hand inside knowledge of Derwent lodge a few years back. Did nor realise it had changed a lot. My impression was that their preponderance of tgs type scores and sevenoaks entrants was due to quite detailed exam preparation in school time. It was one of the few independents that did this round here so far as I could tell.

I would move school if you feel the education is now poor and you know it is better elsewhere. It is easy to do 11 plus exam prep at home but not to fit in a whole education after school hours.

Last bumped by tiger22 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:17 am.