Thread to work out score/ distance cut offs 1 March 2018

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
salsa

Re: Thread to work out score/ distance cut offs 1 March 2018

Post by salsa »

mystery wrote:Yes - some possibilities are - kcc told you the wrong cut off, the kcc border is not where you think it is, parents have told you the wrong score, a parent has mistakenly told you they had an offer but thy haven't
One of the children at my son's school maintained that he'd been offered DGS when, in fact, he hadn't. I think he was told by his parents that they would appeal and he just took it as though it was just a process. Sadly, his parents didn't win the appeal and in the end he had to say where he was really going.

Salsa
LocalTWmum1

Post by LocalTWmum1 »

LocalTWmum1 wrote:
bellabelly wrote:
LocalTWmum1
Post subject: Re: Thread to work out score/ distance cut offs 1 March 2018 Reply with quote
Anyone got any news on Cranbrook School? Last year the cut off score was just 346 with an intake of just 30...be interested to hear how that's changed with a bigger intake (60) for 2018.
In with 335 here. Not sure what cut-off was.
Wow, so low! :?
Cranbrook School cut off is confirmed at 330
sumsum

Post by sumsum »

Hi,
Thank you all for your response.
He really is not adopted or subject to a care.His mum showed me the KCC Email, where they offered him the place with 381.
My confusion was only if the policy of OOC depends on scores only or scores with distance.

The distance from Welling to Dartford (6.9 miles)is only one mile less from Sidcup and he was accepted while my nephew who lives in Sidcup (7.5 miles ) and got 381 was refused.

Also I read from other posts here that some other boys OOC who got 383 couldn't get in and they also confirmed that the lowest score was 384 the email, that i received from KCC

Good morning,
The lowest out of county score was 384 this year.
Mrs J Bennett
Admissions and KS3 Support Officer
Dartford Grammar School

I know it is still

Salsa... yes I am talking about this year allocation 2018
Mystery..Yes I can imagine that some mistakes will happen, this why I was hoping to find the answer here...
salsa

Post by salsa »

sumsum wrote:Hi,
He really is not adopted or subject to a care.His mum showed me the KCC Email, where they offered him the place with 381.
My confusion was only if the policy of OOC depends on scores only or scores with distance.

The distance from Welling to Dartford (6.9 miles)is only one mile less from Sidcup and he was accepted while my nephew who lives in Sidcup (7.5 miles ) and got 381 was refused.

Also I read from other posts here that some other boys OOC who got 383 couldn't get in and they also confirmed that the lowest score was 384 the email, that i received from KCC

Good morning,
Mrs J Bennett
Dartford Grammar School

I know it is still

Mystery..Yes I can imagine that some mistakes will happen, this why I was hoping to find the answer here...
Hi,
For out of catchment children it would be by score and then by distance. So, if there are two children with the same score, the child who is closest would get a place.
There must have been a mistake. This has happened before at other schools and when uncovered the place has either been taken away or the local authority decided to leave it as it wasn't the child's fault. There should be movement in the second round (April) and then afterwards.

The admissions person is very new, but I believe, at this stage, KCC are allocating the places.

Salsa
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

sumsum wrote:Hi,

Good morning,
Mrs J Bennett
Dartford Grammar School

I know it is still

Hi sumsum - my son was an ooc with 383 who didn't get in. The email you've seen from Kent CC presumably isn't about a school place though - if it has the score in, and he's based in Bexley, it sounds like a notification of his score from when he did the Kent test. In Bexley he'll have been notified of his school place by the London e-admissions scheme, and they don't say anything about the score you got on the 11+. Or have they queried with Kent admissions and had the place confirmed?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, agree. There would be two separate communications - KCC last Autumn saying whether or not the child was grammar assessed - and an option of finding out the score from the website or the child's primary. And then an offer of a school place on 1 March this year which would not refer to the score. This offer of a place would, as the poster above says, come from the home local authority and then there would most likely be something shortly after from the school itself.

As to whether the school admission officer would get the cut off of 384 correct in that school email - anyone's guess. Mistakes happen. But it sounds as though from what others are saying it was not as low as 381 so it sounds most likely that the 384 is correct. And also, I think you are saying that KCC told you it was 384 cut off too.

Did the boy apply for the school place from a Kent home address? This could be a possible solution. Some children have one parent live in one county and another in anohter and live in both homes. And make the school application from the area normally needing the lower score.

or it could be an error where on allocation KCC has treated him as in-county when he was in fact OCC. Cross boundary admissions do seomtimes seem to go wrong.
Last edited by mystery on Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Actually I just checked my Kent Test result email and even that doesn't have the score, just grammar qualified or not. You get the score from the website or your child's school. Sounds a bit odd.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Sorrel wrote:Actually I just checked my Kent Test result email and even that doesn't have the score, just grammar qualified or not. You get the score from the website or your child's school. Sounds a bit odd.
Oh yes, you are right. I remember now! All these details disappear from mind so fast. Lots that doesn't quite hang together in terms of the paperwork.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Is it possible that the child who has been offered a place with a lower score has an EHCP in place or a medical / social condition that would push him further up the queue so to speak?

There could be any number of reasons why he's been offered a place with a lower score and the parents may not want the reasons to be made public.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
mystery

Post by mystery »

maybe that is a possibility. Why don't many school admission policies seem to mention that?