How long will your child’s journey to school be?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

Re: How long will your child’s journey to school be?

Post by mystery »

Yes - journey time is not proportionate to distance. Also, timetable can be an issue. My children's train journey is around 15 minutes but the train leaves 40 mins after the end of the school day and then there is a walk at this end. Other kent alternatives would be a long bus journey. But if you live on the outskirts of Tunbridge wells it can take a long time to get in to many tw schools if you live the wrong side - lots of traffic, maybe two buses, etc.
mum-of-two

Post by mum-of-two »

Preempting my DS results this Sept, his journey would be a 15 minute walk there and a 20 minute walk home. Its all down a steep hill going so takes an extra 5 mins to walk home again! Fingers crossed.
mum-of-two
gravesendgal

Post by gravesendgal »

My son walks to the local grammar in 20 minutes

My daughter's journey will be by bus. 7 minutes to bus and about 30-40 minutes on the bus to an OOC school. I think this is about a 20 minute car journey on a good day. Think the bus is about 7.36am
Juneboy

Post by Juneboy »

mystery wrote:
Juneboy wrote:Just curious to know how long it will take your child to get to their new school? Ours will be 35 mins by car and 1 hour by public transport. Our older DD has a journey of about 15 mins by car and 40 mins by public transport.
Do you mean 35 mins by car OR one hour by public transport? If not, that's long. If it is OR, it's pretty average for Kent. Not many big towns in which to situate schools the size which are needed to be economic to run a wide curriculum. And having an elevenplus system makes the travel situation worse.
Yes - if using the car it’s a 35 min journey or if by public transport it’s a 1 hour journey. We live in kent.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ah right - yes certainly sounds a very typical journey for where we live in Kent, whether to a grammar or not. Are you happy with it?
Mumx4

Post by Mumx4 »

Juneboy wrote:Just curious to know how long it will take your child to get to their new school? Ours will be 35 mins by car and 1 hour by public transport. Our older DD has a journey of about 15 mins by car and 40 mins by public transport.
Hi Juneboy, it’ll take my dd 20 mine on the bus to our local Grammar but roughly 8mins by car if I dropped her. She’s expressed her wish to use the public transport with her friends.
RoboR

Post by RoboR »

My DS get's the train up from London with a group of others so around 40 to 55 mins door to door but it's really the social aspect that he enjoys the most as a really good group of friends. Distance is not really a issue if the journey is simple without many changes etc but the after school / evening performances can be a hassle sometimes but homework wise he tends to complete as much as possible during the school day / break / lunch / form time as he values his spare time in the evening. Seems to be working well !!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now