From Ashford to Tunbridge Wells: advice needed

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ada41

From Ashford to Tunbridge Wells: advice needed

Post by Ada41 »

My family has to move from Ashford to Tunbrdige Wells... work related
My first is at Judd , so he is ok but my 2nd is in Norton knatchbull school & the only grammar with space is TWGSB
How good is it?
Finally my daughter is looking to move to Derwent Lodge (Schools at Somerhill) or Rosehill? Which is better for 11+ entry
I will be very grateful for any responses, especially from West Kent residents.
twellsmum

Re: From Ashford to Tunbridge Wells: advice needed

Post by twellsmum »

Hi Ada, I have three children currently at TWGSB - a daughter in the sixth form about to sit A levels, a son in Y11 about to do GCSEs and a son in Y8.

I am very happy with the school. I have a very bright but lazy daughter and they have really done their utmost to make her work and keep me informed about her progress. One son is dyslexic and dyspraxic so have experience of the SENCO team. Again I feel that they have done their best for my son. My youngest is Y8 and again more than happy with his progress.

It is not as academic as Judd but that kind of school does not suit every bright boy. I don't have any experience of Judd/Skinners as a parent but from what others have said, I don't feel it is as pressurised but they still get good results.

TWGSB was formerly a technical school (changed in the 1980s), one still had to pass 11+ to go but not at the same level as Judd/Skinners. It does still do more practical subjects to GCSE level than Judd/Skinners (in addition to a full range of academic ones). Go and look round, the buildings are very tatty as it does not have the parental wealth that the other two boys' schools do but it has recently received an allocation of funds for building work. What year will your son be going into? There are Facebook pages for parents for the current Y8 and Y7 (and one set up for the new joiners in September too) so you can always join them and ask if you have any questions too. Hope this helps.
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

Sorry one other thing, I don't have any experience of Rosehill or Derwent Lodge but if you are hoping for TWGGS for your daughter, be very careful where you move to and check with the school that you are in catchment as it is very narrow (usually between about 1.6 and 1.8 miles on first allocation) so places at the top of Forest Road, Langton, Pembury etc might well be out of catchment. This is especially so with the current age group as there was a baby boom and all the secondary schools are having to take extra children.
Ada41

Post by Ada41 »

Thank you very much!@twellsmum I am very grateful.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now