Skinners school starts 2018

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

martin76

Skinners school starts 2018

Post by martin76 »

Hi,

Ive seen that parents created facebook page group for TWGSB parents. Is it any group for those whos starting in Skinners school 2018?
Would be nice if some1 would create such group or if it is and I missed it- please refer.
Thanks
Sorrel

Re: Skinners school starts 2018

Post by Sorrel »

There's a parents' information evening in June so I presume we get details of any Facebook group ahead of that, or at the meeting. Otherwise you'd risk having several different groups and/ or making it a very open group which might be insecure?
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Actually, if people with sons already at Skinners are around, I'd love to know whether everyone does buy the pack of school-branded rucksack/ sports bag/ hats/ bus pass holder etc that they sell? They look fine, and I note all profits go to the school, but does it make things confusing if everyone has the same bag and hat? Or if you don't, do you stick out?
liceo_classico

Post by liceo_classico »

I was thinking of buying that as well... I dropped them an email to see if we can pay at the parent's evening on the 21st.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Your DS definitely won't be the odd one out if he doesn't have it. DS went for a distinctive pattern on his rucksack so that he could recognise his.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Thanks doodles, that's good to know. Will decide before the parents' evening (I think you send them a cheque and then pick it up on the night, liceo?)
Bronwen

Post by Bronwen »

Hi, my son avoided buying a skinners' branded bag for that very reason so opted for a plain black bag but with a key ring attached to make it stand out from the others. He did use the skinners' pencil cases though, which didn't seem to cause a problem re mix ups with his classmates cases.
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

I started the Facebook page for the current Y6 parents for TWGSB. I don't have a son in that year but started one for my youngest son (now Y8), and there is also one for the current Y7. As I still know lots of people with the right aged sons, I set it up and told them to pass it on. If someone wants to set one up for Skinners please let me know and I will let TW parents of Skinners boys know and spread the word. We found it really useful for things like, are you buying this bag or that, bus problems, do you really need every item of sports kit etc. We have also found it useful to get volunteers for PTA events :)
martin76

Post by martin76 »

If it would be such group on FB_ I would join.
:)
doodles

Post by doodles »

Martin you could always set one up, probably best coming from somebody who will be actively involved in that year group.

I hope your DS enjoys the school. My eldest DS left last summer and loved his time there and has made some lifelong friends my younger DS has another couple of years there and is having a good time - except for the pesky GCSE's which are rather getting in the way at the moment :lol:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !