Advice re Study Time Please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
xnataliax

Re: Advice re Study Time Please

Post by xnataliax »

It’s important to find a balance between quantity and quality; there is no point churning out test after test to get speed up if your DD is making the same mistakes on them. The key factor is working on the development areas as well. Another point is to make sure she doesn’t ‘burn out’ and has time to herself to be a kid as well. Don’t put pressure on her so she thinks it’s the be all and end all to pass; explain it simply offers more options to put on the CAF form.
Talk through exam preparation techniques nearer the time; a relaxed happy, clever, focused child will most likely out-perform a stressed, nervous highly intelligent child on the day.
Your child’s mental well-being is more important than any grade.
mystery

Re: Advice re Study Time Please

Post by mystery »

I would check that what she is doing in the three hours of tuition is worthwhile. The best preparation is the GL familiarisation papers - 8 in each subject maths, NVR, VR and English plus find some spatial material 2D and 3D from whatever looks good in the bookshops.

Now last time I said this, the person enquiring said her child was getting 90 -95%% in test conditions on each GL paper she tried. I asked if she was definitely doing the GL papers but that person never replied. I would say if a child was really getting those kind of scores in the 32 GL familiarisation papers, don't bother with any prep. But otherwise, if you're wanting a high score, go through them all and practise the questions and types of questions she finds difficult.

You might find that the tutor is doing irrelevant stuff - in which case scrap it and do the GL familiarisation papers at home.

There are other books which help build up towards the familiarsation papers if you think she needs it - you still have quite a bit of time left. I can suggest them if you are interested.

The other point is 11 plus test technique - you can get high score in Kent test 390+ and not be getting everything right by a long chalk. So it is important that the child is not flustered by some questions that they can't do or that puzzle them and guesses and moves on.

Practising timing and getting things wrong and moving on is just as important as being able to do the questions. It's a psychological game for a child that age as much as anything.

Good luck.