What percentage do you need to pass?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mayfair321

What percentage do you need to pass?

Post by Mayfair321 »

Hi
I am sure I read previously that in the past you have only needed to score around 56% in each paper to pass the Kent test. Is this right? Or do you need over 70%? I can’t find the original posts on this. Does anyone know? Thanks
ToadMum

Re: What percentage do you need to pass?

Post by ToadMum »

Mayfair321 wrote:Hi
I am sure I read previously that in the past you have only needed to score around 56% in each paper to pass the Kent test. Is this right? Or do you need over 70%? I can’t find the original posts on this. Does anyone know? Thanks
Whatever it is, it will depend on that year's paper and the cohort sitting it.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
PerpetualStudent

Post by PerpetualStudent »

Hi Mayfair321,

If you use the search feature (top right of screen) to look for "raw scores" and confine your search to the Kent forum you should find threads where forumites have posted raw score vs standardised score. As Toadmum says the actual raw score needed will vary year to year but it is really helpful for DC to know they aren't trying for perfection.

Of course just passing the test isn't a guarantee that your DC will be able to get in to the target school. That will also depend on the school's admission criteria e.g. whether they take top scorers, consider distance from school etc.

HTH
PS
mystery

Post by mystery »

It is generally around 50% on each paper, give or take a bit. Occasionally, they set an indidividual paper very badly and it fluctuates wildly from this (e.g. the English in the first year of this new test - it was too easy so the pass mark was very high - few silly slips and you'd failed the whole thing and on question in the english being worth a huge number of points in the standardised score). 70-75% right is usually a really good standardised score.
Mayfair321

Post by Mayfair321 »

Thank you everyone. Mystery - that is what I thought.
DD is lucky enough to just need a pass for a sibling place as do some of her friends but their parents were thinking they still needed really high scores to pass. Obviously I will be encouraging DD to do her best regardless!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes - I think doing a test where you will struggle with so many questions can make it a test of "steel". The child has to be prepared for the fact that they will not get them all correct and may not finish everything. This can cause some children to wobble so much that they can't focus on or find the questions that they can do successfully so they get a score which does not reflect their ability.

That's where practice (with hard enough material!) comes in particularly useful I think - to get through that barrier some children have with doing some work that is a struggle as many of them may only have been faced with things that they can get close to 100 % on most of the time.