Advice needed, please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
First time

Advice needed, please

Post by First time »

Hello,
We live in East Ham and my daughter is preparing for Kent Test for the coming September.
I wanted to ask if 4 hours per day study is enough and what is the best transport route for her to travel to Kent if she gets a place in any good grammar school.
Thanks.
doodles

Re: Advice needed, please

Post by doodles »

Hi First Time welcome to the forum.

Four hours a day on top of a normal school day certainly sounds a heavy load for a 9/10 year old. What sort of preparation are you doing.

Before anyone can give you better advice regarding travel you will need to advise which schools you are targeting, Kent is a big county and some of the journeys would be prohibitively long for your DD.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Presumably you have checked the admissions criteria for all the Kent grammar schools which admit girls? Most of them seem to admit on a pass and then criteria such as sibling link / living within certain parishes / distance etc. Straight line distance from East Ham to some Kent schools must appear deceptively reasonable, until you factor in actually getting across the Thames in rush hour every morning.

Whereabouts in Kent do you hope to move to?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
LocalTWmum1

Post by LocalTWmum1 »

First time wrote:Hello,
We live in East Ham and my daughter is preparing for Kent Test for the coming September.
I wanted to ask if 4 hours per day study is enough and what is the best transport route for her to travel to Kent if she gets a place in any good grammar school.
Thanks.
THIS IS A JOKE, RIGHT?

4 hours A DAY?

And commuting from East Ham? You really cannot be serious on either front...
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

LocalTWmum1 wrote:
Thanks.
THIS IS A JOKE, RIGHT?

4 hours A DAY?

And commuting from East Ham? You really cannot be serious on either front...
Does depend on whether the child has paid any attention at all at school up to this point?

OP, I can't help thinking that East Ham -> Upminster -> Southend East for SHSG might be an easier journey, if grammar school it must be? Or to Chalkwell for WHSG (greater cachet amongst OOC applicants), although it would depend on how keen your DD is on walking uphill as there is quite a lot of it from Chalkwell station up to Leigh Road, at least.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Uncle Buck

Post by Uncle Buck »

Hey Guys, this be a prank right? Or what you guys call a 'wind up'? I cross the river every day no mean feat...
Yours
Buck
Nickib

Post by Nickib »

Getting across the river is precisely why we didn’t consider Kent. We live in Dagenham so in theory, Dartford is very close but no way I’m going to try and tackle the crossing/tunnel in rush hour traffic.
solimum

Post by solimum »

Maybe there is a troll lurking under the Dartford bridge...
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

The Mods appreciate that the OP's plans appear to be quite unusual, but there is no indication that this is anything but a genuine thread. Constructive suggestions, such as those made by ToadMum will, I am sure, be welcome.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Thanks.
In answer to your questions.
1) 4 hours a day is way too much and if this is what your DC needs then they are better suited to a non grammar school.
2) There is no good transport route from East Ham to Kent.
Sorry not to be able to offer more hope but it is what it is.
mad?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now